installing a standy DR site...

Last post 10-13-2011, 2:18 PM by dwojcik. 16 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • installing a standy DR site...
    Posted: 09-08-2011, 3:50 PM

I am setting up a disaster recovery site...

Commserv A with MA A will be running on main site on the same physical computer with a tape library attached.

MA B will be installed on a physical computer with a tape library attached at DR SITE and able to run backups of servers at that site.

I want to install the dr commserv (B) and have the services standing by on that same computer.  In due time I will want to start the commserv services on that commserv (B) and apply a DR and have commserv B (assuming role of A) and MA B taking charge of backups and restores.

I have a DR license for my commserv.

A commserv cannot be installed in decoupled mode.

I had succeeded in installing the MA B  attached to commserv A and it was working fine.

I then proceeded to install the commserv B (standby commserv)... oups would not install commserv if MA agent already installed...

Thinking "no big deal" I went and UNINSTALLED everything.

Reinstalled the commserv B… and stopped the services.

Went to install Media Agent B which I want to register with commserv A…  NO CAN DO…!!!

I've tried a decoupled install.  It is supposed to build an .xml file that serves when you want to do the registering… The xml file was not created…

I  thought this was pretty straightforward procedure… Turns out it is a bit more complicated than I thought!!!

Can anybody help?

• Re: installing a standy DR site...
    Posted: 09-08-2011, 4:24 PM

why not use log shipping for standby CS of the DR commserv?  This would allow near immediate recovery of the DR commserv and if the data is being moved to MA b, local recovery should be available.

Posted: 09-09-2011, 7:00 AM

I've setup our DR server with the commserv on and database mirroring.  This also has a media-agent for the live system on the same server - and used as catalog server.

I did install the commserv first though.

All doc's here: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/disaster_recovery/cs/dr_cs_ma.htm#Overview

Posted: 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Ok...

After some fumbling I finally have both my commserv A & B installed on their respective machines, with MA A & B both pointing to Commserv A for the time being... I am able to do backups from both my MA...

I am reading on to go ahead and use log shipping...

As I read along I see that I need to have a SQL Idataagent installed on the primary commserv... hmmm not good as I do not have that...  Is this an absolute must... Or can I use other schemes to backup up db and logs...???

Posted: 09-15-2011, 3:32 AM

Yeah the requirement of the sql licenses is why we went for database mirroring instead of log shipping.  In mirroring there isn't the need for these agents.

Posted: 09-23-2011, 2:10 PM

Any suggestion/recommendation... recommended reading on database mirroring?

Commserv at dr site does it have to have the same name as the production one?  If not when I bring the dr commserv up... Will I have to go for a name change?

Any input will be appreciated...

Let say my commserv and MA at main site are completely destroyed :(...

I am left with MA B at dr site and the offline commserv both installed on their respective instances... When I bring up the dr commserv.... STEPS?

Posted: 09-26-2011, 3:03 AM

Yes you would need to do a name change..

It should all be covered here: Switching the commserve from primary to standy in case of failures:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/disaster_recovery/mirroring/cs_sql_mirroring.htm#Switching_the_CommServe_to_Standby

Posted: 10-04-2011, 11:55 AM

I'm moving ahead on this pretty good... I'd like to know something about... FAILBACK...

I don't want to failover until I know how to fail back!!!

this is highly interresting!  And fun to do also! Thanks!

Posted: 10-05-2011, 2:11 PM

Failback... yes any documentation?

Posted: 10-12-2011, 2:36 PM

OK people...

I have succeeded in mirorring the database... Once the COMPLETE management studio was INSTALLED... Pretty straightforward...

Remember my software for my standby commserv WAS installed and patched...

Then I downed my main commserv and tried to failover to the standby commserv.  I tried the name change...With the update commverv for clients...

When I go to change the name... The current and the old commserve name are the same...

Is something out of whack?

Posted: 10-12-2011, 5:52 PM

I believe there is a step missing here. Just before steps 3 in "Switching the
    CommServe from Primary to Standby in Case of failures
    ”  before starting any Commvault services you will want to run the CommSevreDisasterRecoverGUI.exe located in the Commvault base directory on the standby Server. You will select the Name/License tab and check the box to submit the name change. This will update the CommServ Database from the primary CommServe name to the Standby CommServe name. After this step is completed you can then start the services and log into the GUI. The next step would be step 3. Updating the Clients with the Standby CommServe hostname.

Dave W.

Posted: 10-13-2011, 9:10 AM

OK I will try that...

Anybody has any thoughts on failing back?

I did a test... I downed the primary to mimick a situation with primary site down.  Remember the database was mirrored...

I tested the procedure to discover that there was a missing step  Which dwojcik pointed out and I am going to try.

But when I brought my primary back online... The database was in some kind of state of shock for missing it's mirroring counterpart...  And the services would not start.  I had to restore the database using sql management studio... Which brought me back in time to the last DR...

Is there an ELEGANT way to stop the mirroring while we do a disaster recovery test and bring it back after the test???

Or does it have to be rebuilt?  It would be ok if there was a real disaster and the machine had to be rebuilt anyway... But along the way there is to be DR testing and then it is cumbersome.

Any thoughts?

Posted: 10-13-2011, 11:49 AM

I also have another question...

At the DR site... Does the standby commserve services HAVE to be stopped... or can they be left running...

I have a production MA running on that machine... When I run the updates... It updates the MA... But when I bring the CS up it is not patched to the same degree...

As if because the services are not running it does not patch the CS when I tell it to update...

Posted: 10-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Keep the services not started.

Its installed as a different instance, so you need to run the sp/update against the other instance to update the service pack or updates for the commserve install.

When finished you still need to keep the services not started.

Posted: 10-13-2011, 1:08 PM

???

...run the sp/update against the other instance to update the service pack or updates for the commserve install.

How do I do that?  From the console when I tell it to install the updates.. It does not offer to choose an instance....

Manually?

Posted: 10-13-2011, 2:17 PM

Hi Claudette, 

On your stand by DR CommServe you probably have the CommServe installed
    as instance001 and the media agent installed into the production CommServe as
    Instance002. This is what is called Multi-Instanced install. Both installs
    communicate over different ports and services. 

From the production CommServe if you were to push an install updates
    job to the standby server you only have the choice of updating the media agent (Not
    the standby CommServe). In order to update the standby CommServe to the same
    service pack level as the media agent installed on same machine you will need
    to either 1. Go through all your normal steps of bringing the standby CommServe
    online and services started and then run install updates on the standby
    CommServe itself or you can 2. Ultimately run the service pack install on the
    standby server locally. When running setup on the service pack locally you will
    be prompted with “which instance do you want to install updates too” here you
    would select instance002 <- (media
    Agent).

It is recommended that the CommServe services in the standby Server
    always be in a stopped state with “Start services when OS starts” disabled).
    This way there is no chance of the standby CommServe starting up and communicating
    and interfering with production.

Hope this sheds some light :)

Dave W.

Posted: 10-13-2011, 2:18 PM

Hi Claudette, 

On your stand by DR CommServe you probably have the CommServe installed
    as instance001 and the media agent installed into the production CommServe as
    Instance002. This is what is called Multi-Instanced install. Both installs
    communicate over different ports and services. 

From the production CommServe if you were to push an install updates
    job to the standby server you only have the choice of updating the media agent (Not
    the standby CommServe). In order to update the standby CommServe to the same
    service pack level as the media agent installed on same machine you will need
    to either 1. Go through all your normal steps of bringing the standby CommServe
    online and services started and then run install updates on the standby
    CommServe itself or you can 2. Ultimately run the service pack install on the
    standby server locally. When running setup on the service pack locally you will
    be prompted with “which instance do you want to install updates too” here you
    would select instance002 <- (mediaAgent).

It is recommended that the CommServe services in the standby Server
    always be in a stopped state with “Start services when OS starts” disabled).
    This way there is no chance of the standby CommServe starting up and communicating
    and interfering with production.

Hope this sheds some light :)

Dave W.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy