VDDK error 91:11 VCBMounter Failed for VM

Last post 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM by Gateshead. 17 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VDDK error 91:11 VCBMounter Failed for VM
    Posted: 08-10-2010, 7:06 AM

We're moving away from VcB so

1) VMware Consilidated Backup Framework was unistalled;

2) VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit was installed;

3) The VStorageEnable reg entry has been created.

However the subsequent backup is failing to backup any VMs as "

"VcBMounter not installed"

3456 bf8 08/10 10:59:29 842030 vsbkp::CheckVMInfoError() - VCBMounter Not present..Failing the backup.

• Re: VDDK error 91:11 VCBMounter Failed for VM
    Posted: 08-10-2010, 8:12 AM
    • mort is not online. Last active: 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM mort
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

VCBMounter is part of the VCB framework and is used for legacy backups, stage 1 of your process says you uninstalled it!

Do you have any pre v7 hardware Virtual machines?  If so you can't use VADP to back these up you still have to use VCB for these!

Posted: 08-10-2010, 8:19 AM

Can you post the VSBKP log? 

Posted: 08-10-2010, 8:51 AM

Same problem here.

I havnt got the vcb software installed, but the vddk is.

Looking at the bsbkp.log , i can see that it checks for the registry setting of VStorageEnable, which it finds enabled [1]. VDDK kit is found etc...

Still it tries to use VCB.

When i install VCB again, everything starts running, but it's still exporting to the job results folder.

Any ideas? it's fully patched, even patch 18431

Posted: 08-10-2010, 8:54 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

Have you set the VMSnapMountPath Registry Key in HKLM/......./VirtualServers? This will at least mean it's mounting snaps where you want!

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/registry_keys/registry_keys.htm#Virtual_Server_iDataAgent 

VADP will fall back to VCB, for instance still using VCB for the few Hardware Version4 machines we still have!

I found I was just missing a patch and it all started to work, could you post the logs?

Posted: 08-10-2010, 8:57 AM

JayST:

Same problem here.

I havnt got the vcb software installed, but the vddk is.

Looking at the bsbkp.log , i can see that it checks for the registry setting of VStorageEnable, which it finds enabled [1]. VDDK kit is found etc...

Still it tries to use VCB.

When i install VCB again, everything starts running, but it's still exporting to the job results folder.

Any ideas? it's fully patched, even patch 18431

Post or PM me the log, and ill let you know.  If you search for the other threads which have the VADP deployment guide you can see the most common issues. 

Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:11 AM

The snapmount folder location is not the problem. I want to get rid of VCB as well.

virtual machines are of version 7

Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:21 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

yes, it won't fix that but at least it will stop sending them to the jobresults folder!

Is it possible to post the log file?

Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:41 AM

difficult to send the logs, it's got alot of servernames etc...

To narrow it down... in the logs i can see it try VCB4 (i think this is vadp).

It tries to download the configuration files from

https://vcenteripaddress/folder/virtualmachinename/virtualmachinename.vmx?dcPath=Amsterdam - G54&dsName=linux-vps

but fails with HTTP Status: 500

next it tries to do the same thing but from the esx host itself

but fails with authentication failed.

Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:44 AM

All are v7 hardware

Log file posted

Thanks in anticipation

Attachment: vsbkp.txt
    Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:47 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

I had exactly the same issue, it's down to the permissions of the VMware backup user.

Try it with a vmware administrator user, and I bet it will work.

I added the following permissions to a vcb user to get it to work!

Datastore, Global, Host, Resource, Storage Views, Tasks and Virtual Machines.

I know this is overkill but I felt it wasn't worth the effort hunting down the specific permissions needed.  I followed the guides on permissions in commvault documentation and gave the user the listed permissions but it still didn't work so resorted to the above.  Someone else may have the EXACT permissions needed.

Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:48 AM

JayST:

difficult to send the logs, it's got alot of servernames etc...

To narrow it down... in the logs i can see it try VCB4 (i think this is vadp).

It tries to download the configuration files from

https://vcenteripaddress/folder/virtualmachinename/virtualmachinename.vmx?dcPath=Amsterdam - G54&dsName=linux-vps

but fails with HTTP Status: 500

next it tries to do the same thing but from the esx host itself

but fails with authentication failed.

http 500 was fixed by VMware via update 2 for Vcenter

vCenter Client datastore browser connected to vCenter Server fails to download .vmx or .nvram files *
    vCenter Client datastore browser connected to vCenter Server might fail to download the .vmx or .nvram file of powered-on virtual machines located on a shared storage with an error message similar to the following:

Expected put message. Got: ERROR

This issue is resolved in this release. See KB 1019286 for more details.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_vc40_u2_rel_notes.html

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1019286

Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:49 AM

Gateshead:

All are v7 hardware

Log file posted

Thanks in anticipation

VDDK isnt installed correctly or the registry key for the path isnt set.  Use the attached document:

3456 d2c 08/10 10:54:48 842030 CVMDiskInfo::_GetVDDKInstallPath() - Using vStorage VDDK from [C:\Program Files\CommVault\Galaxy\Base\VMware\VDDK]
    3456 d2c 08/10 10:54:48 842030 CVMDiskInfo::_DynLoadDiskLib() - Can't load vixDiskLib shared library DLL 7e
    3456 d2c 08/10 10:54:48 842030 CVMWareInfo::Connect() - VCB4 is not available

Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:52 AM
    Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:54 AM

i'm using a user with full administrator permissions in vcenter. Still no difference.

I tried add local accounts on the ESX server with the same name and password. No diffence there either. I'm not exactly sure what permissions the user should have on the ESX host itself, but i gave it root membership.

Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:55 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

yeah, tried that and got same error, whereas a VMware administrator user worked, so I just increased vcb user to the permissions I listed and it worked, possibly just missed something but happy enough now!

JayST : have you got update2 installed? And what happens when you try that URL in a browser?

Posted: 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM

ah i got it. Indeed update2 was not installed.

Moments before i read that , i tried a local windows user call root on the vcenter machine. Gave it administrator permissions on the machine and vcenter. It had the same root password as on the esx hosts. Things started walking after that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Will upgrade to update2

Posted: 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM

Vincenzo_Basolino:

Gateshead:

All are v7 hardware

Log file posted

Thanks in anticipation

VDDK isnt installed correctly or the registry key for the path isnt set.  Use the attached document:

3456 d2c 08/10 10:54:48 842030 CVMDiskInfo::_GetVDDKInstallPath() - Using vStorage VDDK from [C:\Program Files\CommVault\Galaxy\Base\VMware\VDDK]
    3456 d2c 08/10 10:54:48 842030 CVMDiskInfo::_DynLoadDiskLib() - Can't load vixDiskLib shared library DLL 7e
    3456 d2c 08/10 10:54:48 842030 CVMWareInfo::Connect() - VCB4 is not available

VDDK has been installed on 64bit server and had not followed the following:

If installing VDDK1.1.1 or higher on 64-bit operating systems, the following steps must be performed:

1.           VDDK 1.1.1 must first be installed on the proxy server to its default location.

For example, C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit

2.           Create a new, similar path on the proxy computer.

For example, C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\

3.           Unzip the vddk64 from C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\bin to a temporary location. Once unzipped, copy the bin, lib, and plugins folders to the folder created in step 2.

4.           Create the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit

Create a new STRING value: InstallPath 

Set the value data to: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy