What to do with a sealed DDB?

Last post 07-23-2014, 1:38 PM by Ali. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • What to do with a sealed DDB?
    Posted: 07-01-2014, 12:06 AM

Hi,

Back in October last year, a power issue caused our DDB to go offline, seal, and start a new DDB.  This was in version 9 and auto-recovery is now working for any future problems.

My question is what can I do with this sealed DDB and what is it being used for?
    Is there a way to combine/rebuild these two DDBs into a single one?

The data in the sealed DDB will not age off as it contains infinite retention archived items.

Thanks,
    Brad

• Re: What to do with a sealed DDB?
    Posted: 07-01-2014, 12:31 AM

You are fine to delete the DDB. DDB are only for backups. if you seal the DDB it will just sit there until everything in the storage policy is aged off. DDB are not used for restores, only for backups.  Delete away.

Posted: 07-01-2014, 1:06 AM
    Really? Ok, however if the DDB is not used for restores, why wouldn’t the sealed DBB simply delete itself the second it’s sealed?
    There’d be no reason for retaining a sealed DDB whatsoever, future jobs can’t dedupe against it and if it’s not used for restores then what is its purpose?

I’m sure I was told otherwise by Support when the seal occurred, because at the time we did not have DDB Backups configured which put us at risk of not being able to restore.

If I’m wrong though, that’d be great!
    Posted: 07-01-2014, 3:39 AM
    To elaborate a bit further, my issue is that there are still jobs associated with the sealed DDB.
    These jobs have infinite retention, so will not age off. I do not want to delete the jobs from this copy as it will mean recoveries will need to come from tape.

The current structure of this storage policy is:

Active
    ID: 11 - Jobs: 40 - Size on Disk: 468GB - Application Size: 1.25TB - Partition: Ready - Unique Blocks: 2,797,000
    Sealed
    ID: 5 - Jobs: 71 - Size on Disk: 697GB - Application Size: 1.57TB - Partition: Offline - Unique Blocks: 3,978,769
    ID: 3 - Jobs: 101 - Size on Disk: 345GB - Application Size: 1.42TB - Partition: Ready - Unique Blocks: 0

What I really need is a way to get these blocks/jobs into the active DDB.
    I have done this in the past with Support which involved promoting the tape to Primary and Aux copying back, a long and tedious process as you can imagine.
    Posted: 07-01-2014, 4:34 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Brad,

There's no way to move jobs from the sealed DDB to the active DDB.  You could do one thing.

1. Create another copy, copy those jobs from the sealed DDB (only) to the new copy. 

2. Once jobs are copied prune jobs those jobs from the Primary 

3.  Promote the copy (newly created) to be Primary

4.  On demoted copy ensure the source is Primary, and pick the copied jobs to copy to this demoted copy

5.  Finish the aux copy job, then promote it back to Primary (demoted copy)

6.  Prune copy created in Step #1

This is really dicey, but doable if you have the downtime for backups or you can divert them to another copy for a temporary time if you really want to get those jobs into the active Primary DDB.

Posted: 07-01-2014, 4:35 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Another option is, just restore that data out of place, and then back it up again, then go back and prune those jobs.

Posted: 07-01-2014, 8:05 PM
    Thanks Ali, I'm aware of these two options but I was looking for something a bit simpler that doesn't require me to double my storage.
    What about recovering the DDB using the Reconstruct option? That's essentially what I'd like to do, scrap the current one and re-read the entire mag library.
    Posted: 07-02-2014, 10:42 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thanks Brad, thats not supported either.  Just curious how much space is that older store taking up?

Posted: 07-02-2014, 11:48 AM

yeah i wish that could be done as well. But DDB are just used for backup, your Delete the space used by the DDB. It just the data will still no agent until the retenion is met. 

Posted: 07-02-2014, 12:00 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

In this situation, the DDB is in a compromised state, even if the job meets retention space will not be reclaimed, until all jobs meet retention then space reclamation can happen.  Either way these are infinite jobs (guessing all of them?) so either way no space is being reclaimed.

Posted: 07-02-2014, 9:12 PM
    The example I used above probably isn’t a great one as it’s all archive data and the size on disk is far less than the application size for all of the sealed DDBs, so the only space savings I’d see would be future files that are the same as what’s already archived.

A better example is my Global Deduplication policy that contains both backup and archive data. This has one active and one sealed DDB.
    The active one is about 5TB on disk, 50TB application size.
    The sealed one is also about 5TB on disk, but only 1.5TB application size, so I’m guessing it has micro pruned the backup data, but won’t macro prune it until all the jobs have aged, which will never happen.
    I’d like to reclaim this mag library space back somehow, but get the feeling the only way will be to aux copy out and back in.
    Posted: 07-08-2014, 12:27 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

That seems to be the only way Brad, this is one of the slim cases which cause draw backs due to mixing Standard & Extended retention jobs.

Posted: 07-15-2014, 4:53 AM

Thanks Ali, in the end I gave in as expected and found some space to create another copy on.

I ended up just creating a secondary copy on the Archive policy and copied every job using a new DB.  I then made this the primary and deleted the old primary so everything then aged from the DDB and the Mag library as expected.  That prune operation really pushed my hardware to the limit!

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 07-23-2014, 1:38 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thanks for the follow up, yes pruning is demanding, especially marco pruning as once a copy is pruned, it's in a hurry to get the job done Smile

Appreicate you also marking this solved!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy