Backup Isilon utilizing Windows Proxy Server, restores do not restore ntfs permissions on folders

Last post 02-11-2016, 8:28 AM by Joni Moyer. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backup Isilon utilizing Windows Proxy Server, restores do not restore ntfs permissions on folders
    Posted: 02-05-2016, 1:47 PM

Hi Everyone!

I am in the process of testing backing up an Isilon with NL400 nodes with a Windows proxy server.  The backup works fine, but when I go to restore a folder it does not restore the permissions of the folder itself but it does restore the permissions of the files.  It is important that I'm able to restore both.  Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas on this?  Thanks in advance!

• Re: Backup Isilon utilizing Windows Proxy Server, restores do not restore ntfs permissions on folders
    Posted: 02-10-2016, 2:23 PM

Are you backing this up using the CV NAS IDA?

Regards
    SG1

• Re: Backup Isilon utilizing Windows Proxy Server, restores do not restore ntfs permissions on folders
    Posted: 02-10-2016, 2:38 PM

Hi!

I had tested utilizing the NAS iDA with NDMP backups and I was trying to do due dilligence and test the alternate method of utilizing a Windows server as a proxy client with the Isilon filesystem backing up through the Windows server to see which is more reliable and a better option for us.  But in testing restores with the Windows client proxy, it does not restore the ntfs permissions of folders, but it does restore the permissions of the files themselves.  I would like to test both methods in order to make the right decision, but cannot seem to get the proxy client restore working properly.  Any thoughts/ideas why this might be occurring?  I have no issues at all with the NAS iDA.  Thanks in advance!

Posted: 02-10-2016, 2:52 PM

When your doing the Windows proxy restore are you selecting this option?

Posted: 02-10-2016, 2:55 PM

Which option?  I'll gladly try anything you suggest, thanks!

Posted: 02-10-2016, 2:58 PM

Looks like my screen shot didnt take.

*Restore Both Data and ACL's

Posted: 02-10-2016, 3:00 PM

http://docs.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=products/windows/restore_adv.htm

Posted: 02-11-2016, 8:28 AM

Yes, we're using that restore option when we restore the folder/files and it just doesn't restore the ntfs permissions of the folder itself. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy