S3 Adapter (Snowball)

Last post 03-10-2017, 5:28 PM by karthik. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • S3 Adapter (Snowball)
    Posted: 12-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Hi,

Has anyone successfully used the S3 Adapter to access the Amazon Snowball for aux copy seeding? Right now I'm running aux copies to local disk and then using the Snowball client to copy from local disk to the snowball. It seems like the S3 Adapter would technically allow the media to write directly to the snowball via the S3 Adapter. I was thinking that I could create a Cloud library and point it to the local S3 Adapter endpoint for seeding.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/aws-snowball-update-job-management-api-s3-adapter/

Thanks,

Chris

• Re: S3 Adapter (Snowball)
    Posted: 12-14-2016, 9:36 PM

Currently we are validating this . We will add the support list in our doc once that is done mostly by Post V11.0 SP6

Posted: 03-08-2017, 4:09 PM

karthik:

Currently we are validating this . We will add the support list in our doc once that is done mostly by Post V11.0 SP6

Just update on this. I have successfully used the S3 adapter to copy backups to a 50 TB snowball. The only issue i've run into so far is that the Windows media agent refuses to connect to the adapter. I think it's due to the self signed SSL cert. My Linux media agents don't have any issues with it. This is with CV10 SP 14.

Posted: 03-10-2017, 5:17 PM

Please confirm , you are referring this Amazon option ? If so we have to check with Amazon Support . 

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/snowball/latest/ug/using-adapter-options.html

-ssl

--ssl-enabled

A value that specifies whether or not the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol is used for communicating with the adapter. If no additional certification path or private key are provided, then a self-signed certificate and key are generated in the home directory/.aws/snowball/config directory.

snowball-adapter -ssl

Example

snowball-adapter -ssl

Posted: 03-10-2017, 5:24 PM

karthik:

Please confirm , you are referring this Amazon option ? If so we have to check with Amazon Support . 

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/snowball/latest/ug/using-adapter-options.html

-ssl

--ssl-enabled

A value that specifies whether or not the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol is used for communicating with the adapter. If no additional certification path or private key are provided, then a self-signed certificate and key are generated in the home directory/.aws/snowball/config directory.

snowball-adapter -ssl

Example

snowball-adapter -ssl

I am using -ssl like this:

sudo snowball-adapter -i ${IP} -m ${MANIFEST} -u ${CODE} -ssl

Posted: 03-10-2017, 5:28 PM

Ok. I think this is good question for Amazon Support team to ask to get clarification .  why this SSL option to connect  snowball is not worked in your Windows Machine .  

Thanks 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy