Difference between Exchange Mailbox Agent and OnePass for Exchange Mailbox (Classic)

Last post 04-24-2017, 10:45 PM by Remala. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Difference between Exchange Mailbox Agent and OnePass for Exchange Mailbox (Classic)
    Posted: 10-12-2016, 9:59 AM

Hi,

can anyone explain me the difference between them? I know the table here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/exchange_onepass_agent/c_exopa_overview.htm

But after installing the EMA it looks like this is just an additional client based on the OPfEM (which gets installed on the proxy). The EMA has less features than the OPfEM (no sublients, no assigning with RegEx). And the EMA documentation lacks any information about the Outlook plug-in, too.

So the OPfEM has more features but the comparison table says otherwise.

I'm somewhat confused ...

Give me some insight to this please.

Thanks,

Ronald

• Re: Difference between Exchange Mailbox Agent and OnePass for Exchange Mailbox (Classic)
    Posted: 10-21-2016, 10:34 AM

The Exchange Mailbox agent is a brand new entity that works different than the original Exchange Mailbox Classic agent.  Certail portions of it are still being built out however I would highly recommend if you are newly deploying the mailbox agent, start with this one instead of having to migrate to it in the future!  I would recommend if you have any specific questions on it, either ask them here and I will do my best to get them answered, or open a ticket with support to get your concerns/questions answered.

• Re: Difference between Exchange Mailbox Agent and OnePass for Exchange Mailbox (Classic)
    Posted: 04-17-2017, 2:55 PM

Hello,

I am deploying a new mailbox backup and archive environment and i am deciding, whether to start with Exchange Mailbox or with OnePass classic.

Mostly interested in:

• PST archiving ?
    • Equivalent to Onepass "Backup with Selective Stubbing Mode" ?
    • Storage Space Reclamation using Synthetic Full Backups ?

Can you provide any recommendations, roadmap or best practices ?

Thanks

Jiri

Posted: 04-19-2017, 11:32 AM
    • PST archiving ? - currently available with OnePass and will be supported in the future with Exchange Mailbox
    • Equivalent to Onepass "Backup with Selective Stubbing Mode" ? currently available with both OnePass and Exchange Mailbox
    • Storage Space Reclamation using Synthetic Full Backups ? this one is a bit vague, could you clarify?
    This is probably not something to easily make a decision on and discuss through a forum.  Would recommend reaching out to your local SE to discuss and make the best decision.  
    There are currently advantages for Exchange Mailbox and OnePass classic, however the direction we are moving towards for the future is Exchange Mailbox so that would be my personal recommendation.
    Posted: 04-20-2017, 1:46 AM

Thanks tcottrell for the answer.

•     Storage Space Reclamation using Synthetic Full Backups ? this one is a bit vague, could you clarify?

It seems, that there is different logic of storage space reclamation in the Exchange Mailbox and the Onepass:

• In Onepass you can schedule incrementals or synthetic fulls. During the synthetic full, items are included/excluded to the backup based on either the storage policy retention (backup mode) or the archive retention (mixed or archive mode).
    • In Exchange Mailbox there is only an incremental schedule.

Jiri

Posted: 04-21-2017, 6:42 AM

Hi,

Can I just in here and ask

How does the end users see Archived mails in OWA when they were Archived useing the new Exchange Mailbox Client ? Is it a stub and then can just click it to retreive or download the message ? Or do they have to logon to the the Web Console to do this ?

Regards

Posted: 04-21-2017, 10:08 AM

Thanks - With OnePass as you noted, you have to run synthetic full backups for space reclamation based on media retention rules.  When the synthetic full runs, it not only combines the data from the previous full (or synthetic full) and incremental backup jobs, but it also manages the data by dropping any data that is older than the days rule set on the media retention based on sent/received time.

The Exchange Mailbox agent only runs incremental jobs as you noted with no need for synthetic full jobs.  Retention is set in a similiar fashion to OnePass, however this is managed automatically in the back ground on the index server.  An administrative process runs every 24 hours and queries the index server to verify if any data is outside of retention.  Any data that is outside of retention is marked for deletion and is removed from being available for browse/restores.  Currently the method to clean up that data physically from the media is not available but will be added in the future.  The footprint left should not be major though as the data is not being backed up multiple times as would be the case with the synthetic full models.

Posted: 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM

Hello Goose -

You have the same options to stub or delete as are available from OnePass.  If you would still like end users to have stubs in their mailbox, choose the option to create a stub.  If the requirement in the environment is to delete the message (to leave the smallest footprint), the delete email option can be used.  The end user can than still acces the item through the Web Console as you noted, or through the ContentStore Email Viewer.  With the Exchange Mailbox client items are visible through the ContentStore Email Viewer without Content Indexing (online mode only) which is a nice new feature!  With OnePass the data could only be seen when it is Content Indexed.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted: 04-24-2017, 10:45 PM

Ronald,

In addition to the points mentioned by Tim, I want to give more info related to new mailbox agent.

With the new Exchaneg Mb agent we can achieve below

1) In new agent data will be associated vitual client, this will give a flexibility of adding multiple proxies based on growth of organization, whilch will be a horizontally scalable environment.

2) To improvize the performance we implemented multi streaming by providing number of service accounts.

3) New agent desing is user centric, user level archive /retention policies can be applied.

4) New indexing framework infrastructure requirements are very less with respect CI engines, with new index server, number of objects can be populated in single index is very high 10times than older CIserver.

5) Content Indexing can be limited to group /single users, where as with old agent for single user we need to CI all the jobs.

overall new agent will be highly scalable and meets  user centric requirements.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy