Netapp SnapMirror snapshot copy associations

Last post 04-01-2018, 11:43 AM by Wwong. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Netapp SnapMirror snapshot copy associations
    Posted: 01-16-2018, 11:49 AM

Hello

why with Netapp SnapVault snapshot copy can I choose which client/subclient replicate to SnapVault destination and instead with Netapp SnapMirror snapshot copy I can't ?

for example I have 10 VMware datastores on 10 Netapp volumes:

5 "standard" datastores

4 "mission critical" datastores

1 "test" datastore

for "standard" datastores I want 7 days snapshots on production storage and 30 days snapshots on SnapVault.

for "mission critical" datastores I want 7 days snapshots on production storage, 30 days snapshots on SnapVault and a SnapMirror replica for disaster recovery.

for "test" datastore I want only 7 days snapshots on production storage (no Vault no Mirror)

I can use the same storage policy for "standard" and "test" datastores because in the SnapVault snapshot copy I can chose to Vault only the "standard" datastore subclients (in the Associations tab) but I must use a different storage policy for SanpMirror because in the SnapMirror snapshot copy I can't chose the which subclient to Mirror (Associations tab is greyed)

Regards 

• Re: Netapp SnapMirror snapshot copy associations
    Posted: 02-28-2018, 8:47 PM
    Hi Strangedays

The following details is a high-level comparison between SnapVault and SnapMirror

SnapVault:

The purpose of SnapVault (it acts like a selective copy), where you can dictate different retention period (this is the purpose of SnapVault). SnapVault will allow you to directly delete snapshot from the Primary or the Secondary Filer without any restrictions.

SnapMirror:

Whereas SnapMirror (acts as a synchronous copy), where it will be an exact replica of the Primary Filer. The backend functionality of SnapMirror also works differently to SnapVault. SnapMirror snapshot retention is based on the retention period of the Primary Filer, and only when it ages off the Primary Filer, will an API call (from NetApp) be sent to the Destination Filer to cleanup the snapshot (in doing so, both copies will be synchronous).

Additional Note - from a CommVault and NetApp perspective, we don't currently support PVM (Primary <-> Vault <-> Mirror)

"I must use a different storage policy for SanpMirror because in the SnapMirror snapshot copy I can't chose the which subclient to Mirror (Associations tab is greyed)" -> that is correct as SnapMirror will just be an exact replica of the Source (dependent on which Source is used for the SnapMirror Copy, whether it is Primary or the Vault copy).

Thank you

Winston

Posted: 03-05-2018, 11:32 AM
    Hello Winston

I don't want cascaded Primary -> Vault -> Mirror, I know that this configuration is not supported

I don't want a different retention for the Snapmirror copy (same retention of Primary snapshot copy)

I would like to have the ability to chose which subclient should have a Snapmirror copy (like the Snapvault)

In my case if I could have the chance to decide which subclient must have a Snapmirror copy I could have 1 storage policy instead of 2

Posted: 04-01-2018, 11:43 AM

Hi Strangedays

Apologies for the late reply

In CommVault, you can think of SnapMirror the same as a Synchronous Copy, the purpose is to retain an identical copy of the Source Primary Data.

As a result it won't be possible to have difference associated subclient on a SnapMirror. 

That is why SnapVault relationship is used, allowing to have flexibility in setting different retention as well as the ability to chose subclient for dufferent Copy. 

Thank you 

Winston

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy