Restore archived emails from Exchange Mailbox Archiver to Exchange Mailbox

Last post 06-19-2018, 3:49 AM by georgeparker. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Restore archived emails from Exchange Mailbox Archiver to Exchange Mailbox
    Posted: 06-06-2018, 2:59 AM

Hi,

I'm looking at a CV v10 R2 SP13 deployment that's got a client with the Exchange Mailbox Archiver IDA that was used to archive users mailboxes. I need to restore those archived items to another Exchange server that I've installed the Exchange Mailbox IDA onto. If I do an "add/remove software" on the exchnage client I need to restore to, the " Exchange Mailbox Archiver" IDA isn't listed. On the client with the Exchange Mailbox Archiver IDA, I ran a browse & restore, selected a mailbox, hit "recover all selected" and tried changing the target exchange server to the one with the Exchange Mailbox IDA, but it's not listed - presumably because it's not running the Exchange Mailbox Archiver IDA? So how am I supposed to be able to restore the archived mailbox items to my other exchange client? help!

• Re: Restore archived emails from Exchange Mailbox Archiver to Exchange Mailbox
    Posted: 06-06-2018, 7:31 AM

The selection regarding target is based on the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox iDataAgent.

Is this the restore inteded to go to the same or a different Exchange environment?
    If different, is it the same Exchange version or different?
    Both are supported, just to get an idea of the context.

Does the source environment and the target environment have the same OS version?
    Different OS is not supported.

• Re: Restore archived emails from Exchange Mailbox Archiver to Exchange Mailbox
    Posted: 06-06-2018, 7:30 PM

Hi Jos1982_NL, thanks for your reply.

In my situation, the "source" is a client that has the "Exchange Mailbox Archiver" iDataAgent on it that was used to archive exchange mailboxes that resided on it. The "target" is a client that has the "Exchange Mailbox" iDataAgent on it that I'd like to retore the archived items to.

So in answer to your questions:-

1. Is this the restore inteded to go to the same or a different Exchange environment?

Answer:- The restore is intended to go to the target client.

2. If different, is it the same Exchange version or different?

Answer:- I'm not sure what version of Exchange was running on the source, but the target client is running Exchange 2013.

3. Does the source environment and the target environment have the same OS version?

Answer:- The source client is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition. The target client is Windows 2012 R2 Standard Edition.

However for the purposes of performing restores (which is all I'm trying to do here), I would have thought that it should not matter what OS is on the source. In fact, the source server may not even exist on the network anymore. I am wanting to restore archived items which are located on the MediaAgent's disklibrary to my target Exchange server client. The source server's client object and all its backupsets and subclients still exist in Commvault. As mentioned above, the source server had the "Exchange Mailbox Archiver" iDataAgent on it (which is where I'm running the Browse & Restore from) but the target server has the "Exchange Mailbox" iDataAgent on it and my Commvault system will not let me install the "Exchange Mailbox Archiver" iDataAgent onto the target. When I try performing a restore, my target client does not appear on the drop-down list of clients that I can target the restore to and I think it's because my target doesn't have the "Exchange Mailbox Archiver" iDataAgent on it. Am I right? If so, how will I be able to restore the archived items onto the target?

Hope this makes sense?

George.

Posted: 06-07-2018, 12:04 AM

Is it possible to get my hands on a copy of the "Exchange Mailbox Archiver" iDataAgent that I could then deploy to my target Exchange server clients and test if I can restore the archived items to it?

Posted: 06-07-2018, 4:56 AM

You will not be able to recovery thru the Archiver agent, your destination will need a Microsoft Exchange Mailbox iDataAgent.

Your issue is right here:

Answer:- The source client is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition. The target client is Windows 2012 R2 Standard Edition.

Even a transition to the OnePass for Exchange Mailbox would not help you here as both agents do not support restores between different OS versions.

You either:

Posted: 06-07-2018, 6:56 PM

Hi,

As I mentioned before, my destination client *has the* Exchange Mailbox iDataAgent installed on it.

Let me try asking my question a slightly different way:-

I used to have an Exchange 2013 server that was configured in Commvault with the Exchange Mailbox Archiver IDA that was configured to archive user mailboxes. That Exchange server was decomissioned 3 months ago and is no longer on the network, but its client/backupset/subclient still remains in Commvault. I have built a new Exchange 2013 server and configured it in Commvault with the Exchange Mailbox iDataAgent. My Commvault system doesn't allow me to deploy the Exchange Mailbox Archiver iDataAgent onto this client as it's no longer listed as an option. I need to restore the archived emails onto the new client, and when I go through the process of browse & restore and select the archibed mailboxes, it doesn't let me chose my new client and I think it's because it doesn't have the Mailbox Archiver iDataAgent on it, am I right? If so, can I get my hands on this agent somehow? If not, I'll have to restore to PST as you suggested.

Regards, George.

Posted: 06-08-2018, 1:53 PM

Commvault disabled new installations of the Exchange Mailbox Archiver Agent since the package has been marked as end-of-life since October 2015. As far as I know there is no way around this for this package.

But your issue is cross operating system restore, not the (un)available or installed packages.

If adding a 2008 r2 standard edition server to the exchange environment is no option for you then I am afraid you are stuck with PST files as your remaining option.

Posted: 06-11-2018, 8:03 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the information about the Exchange Mailbox Archiver Agent no longer being availabile and that there's no way around it.

As for the cross operating system issue, as I'm typing this, I am restoring archived emails onto a Windows 2012 R2 Exchange 2013 server client running the Exchange Mailbox agent that were archived from a Windows 2008 R2 Exchange server client. The archived items were archived with the Exchange Mailbox agent and when I just kicked off the browse & restore and selected the archived items that I want restotred, I was able to select my Windows 2012 R2 client to target the job to. As a matter of fact, this Windows 2008 R2 server no longer has Exchange installed on it. So doesn't this prove that it doesn't make a difference what OS is/was running on the source client?

Regards, George.

Posted: 06-12-2018, 4:02 AM

Hi George,

Very interesting, looking deeper at the documentation regarding this agent I see that I have made a wrong interpretation.

• The supported features table states that 'Cross-Platform Restores - Different Operating System' is not supported.
    • The section describing 'Cross-Platform Restores' states that restoring data associated with different versions of the operating system is supported.

I interpreted the first statement incorrectly, I thought this included versions of the OS.
    My apologies for the inconvenience :(

If I may ask, what changed since your first post? As the client did not list for selection before.

Posted: 06-19-2018, 3:49 AM

Hi, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Nothing's changed since my first post. I logged a support case with Commvault and we got it fixed. I downloaded the v9 software and was able to install the Mailbox Archiver agent onto my target Exchange servers under a new instance. I had to make a couple of registry changes on both the target servers and the advanced settings of the commserve to force this older agent to install, but it worked and now when I browse/restore a source client that used the mailbox archiver agent, I can restore the archived items to my target client/instance02 because it appears in the drop-down list :)

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy