find VM in VSA Subclient

Last post 05-23-2019, 10:21 AM by Joao Sousa. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • find VM in VSA Subclient
    Posted: 04-30-2019, 6:03 AM

We use a VSA to Backup our VMware infrastructure. In our configuration we have multiple BackupSets and Subclients with different VMs as content.

Now we have some trouble to find out in which subclient ist which VM.

So for example if I will delete a VM, I need to open every subclient and check the content list, if the VM is inside.

Is there a simpler and faster way to find the VM I'am looking for?

• Re: find VM in VSA Subclient
    Posted: 04-30-2019, 12:12 PM

Hi CLiX,

How about running a Backup Summary report filtered on Client: <your VMware server> and Agent Type: Virtual Server? That should list your subclients and VMs configured under each subclient.

Alternatively, if applicable, within the Commvault Admin Console, if you run the VM Backup report (Monitoring > Reports > VMBackup), it lists the VM Name, Virtualisation Host and Subclient. You can also apply a filter.   

Posted: 04-30-2019, 3:17 PM

You can always check the backup history of the VM , that will give you the subclient name.

fo VM's to be visible , from the commcell Console > Control Panel > User Preference > Client Computer Group Filter > Show Virtual Machines (check the box)

Posted: 05-02-2019, 3:52 AM

Thank you for your answers.

I think it is a little bit to oversized to run a report everytime I'm searching a VM. It would be better if I have search field to enter the VM name or something like that.

The Backup and Restore History is an good alternative, but in my opinion not the best solution from CommVault.

Posted: 05-02-2019, 4:13 AM

Try the Admin Console option...

Posted: 05-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Greetings,

I use Commcell Console, what I do is check on "Client Computer Groups", select that VMware group, all the VMs with backup will show there, so you can do a search for the VM.

After finding it do Right Click > Properties > Virtual Machine Properties (TAB).

There you will have the VM info, including Client, Backupset and Subclient Name (no link unfortunatly).

Hope it helps.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy