AWS Cloud Library

Last post 06-12-2019, 11:57 AM by ValleyDude. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • AWS Cloud Library
    Posted: 06-07-2019, 12:38 PM

I have a dash copy going to an EC2 instance which stores the data in a S3 bucket. I had intially seeded using Standard S3, the dash copy has been using S3-IA. Well a majority of the data in still in standard and it's pricey. I would like to which all the data to S3-IA. I talked to commvault support about changing it and then said it'll fine. I started to make the change in the AWS web console. Select, right click, change Storage type.  However, it's way too much data and the console timesout and the job fails.

Alternativley I can use the AWS CLI, using the cp command to "migrate" to S3-IA. Anyone fimilr with this process? Does it behave the same as the console method does under the covers?I'm worried the DDB isnt going to like that. Thank for your time! 

• Re: AWS Cloud Library
    Posted: 06-11-2019, 11:01 PM
    • MWR is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 11:19 PM MWR
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • San Clemente CA
    • Newcomer
    • Points 4

You could use Object Lifecycle Management to transition the S3 objects to S3-IA to automate the process in bulk

Posted: 06-11-2019, 11:48 PM

Hi All 

As of SP15, Commvault has introduced Tiered Storage Class (https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=109286.htm)

What that means is without the need of managing the lifecycle policy on AWS aspect, you can jsut create a new Bucket with option "Standard-IA/Glacier"

Once you select "Standard-IA/Glacier", Commvault will do the following:

• Metadata refers to the information contained in the CHUNK_META_DATA folders in storage.

• Data refers to the information contained in the SFILE_CONTAINER folders in storage.

So by setting up Cloud Tiered Storage Class, there is no more need to configure lifecycle policy, CommVault will manage automatically (base on the above criteria).

Kind Regards

Winston 
    Posted: 06-12-2019, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info! 

MWR, that was my next play! :)

Wwong, Wow. I just upgraded to SP15 after the move to AWS.This is great! I'm so glad we chose Commvault as our backup solutionCool

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy