Archiving Rules Tab Greyed-Out When Creating New Subclient in Archive Set After SP 16 HPK 15

Last post 10-10-2019, 10:07 AM by vagrawal. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Archiving Rules Tab Greyed-Out When Creating New Subclient in Archive Set After SP 16 HPK 15
    Posted: 10-09-2019, 7:28 AM

Hi, 

A couple of weeks ago we upgraded to SP 16 HPK 15.   

Since the SP udpate, I have a requirement to take a final backup to tape of some CIFS share data that is being backed-up just to Commvault disk libraries using a File System Archiver agent under a Network Share pseudo-client because the the CIFS share data is now stale and just needs to be backed-up to tape and then removed from the network share.

When I created the new subclient in my existing Archive enabled backupset folder, I can see the tab named "Archiving Rules" but it is greyed-out.

I understand from the "Changes in Service Pack 16" article here: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=108399.htm#o114061 that the Archiving Agent configuration has changed and that the "Disk Pruning" tab has been removed and been absorbed into the "Archiving Rules" tab to simply the configuration and number of retention options relating to the Archiving agent configuration.  Indeed, on my earlier Archive enabled subcliuents in this Archive Set I see the "Disk Pruning" tab has vanished with only the "Archiving Rules" tab remaining.  What I do not understand is why the "Archiving Rules" tab is greyed-out on this newly added subclient?   Is anyone else seeing this behaviour. 

In some ways the "Archiving Rules" configuration is actually moot since ideally I am going to be using a different Storage Policy that writes to tape with Infinite Retention for the Storage Policy copy so the concept of leveraging the Archive Configuration is redundant.  But I am just not sure if the greyed-out "Archiving Rules" tab is a SP 16 bug or if I have overlooked something basic as to why the behaviour is not what I expected.  

I have checked BooksOnline and the relevant article for "Creating an Archiving Subclient for Network Share" is here: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=112981.htm and as far as I can see the article seems to suggest the "Archiving Rules" tab should be available for configuration regardless of whether or not I actually decide to check the "Enable archiving with these rules"checkbox.

Curious to see if anyone else has noticed this and has a possible explanation or if I need to log a ticket with support for a possible bug.

Regards,

Michael

• Re: Archiving Rules Tab Greyed-Out When Creating New Subclient in Archive Set After SP 16 HPK 15
    Posted: 10-09-2019, 8:37 AM

Hi Michael,

on newly created subclient, please go to Properties->Retention select Extended Storage Policy Retention. this will enable Archiving rules tab.

Vijay

• Re: Archiving Rules Tab Greyed-Out When Creating New Subclient in Archive Set After SP 16 HPK 15
    Posted: 10-10-2019, 7:59 AM

Hi Vijay,

Thanks for the hint, that did the trick. 

Can't belive it was something so simple; I re-read the "Creating an Archiving Subclient for Network Share" documentation at http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=112981.htm and it makes no mention of that step, it simply assumes the "Archiving Rules" tab is available to be configured.

Many thans again.

Michael

Posted: 10-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Hi Michael,

Since you created Subclient under regular File System Backup set, it created OnePass subclient which has this additional requirement. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy