Air Gap solution using Selective Copys

Last post 12-18-2019, 5:16 PM by Anthony.Hodges. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Air Gap solution using Selective Copys
    Posted: 12-18-2019, 1:16 PM

Hello,

We currently have a Commvault system with two sites.  We have a primary copy at our primary site and a syncronous copy at a remote site.  This works great but both systems are online all the time and theortically could both be comprismised at the same time.

I have been brainstorming about using a pair of media agents with their own dedicated storage to be run with two more selective copies of our storage policies.  My thought is that we could keep one of the two selective copies powered off and offline and then we rotate them back and fourth so at any given time, we have one selective copy online with a full set of all of our last full backups and one offline selective copy with a full set of full backups.  Once a month we would rotate the ones that is online and offline and the one coming online would "catch up" on its selective copies.

I don't have any experience with selective copies, so I don't know if this would accomplish our goal and I am not sure if Commvault would care or not if the media agent for a selective copy was offline for a month at a time.

My thought is that offline would mean really offline for us, physically powering down the media agent and unplugging it along with its storage.  Actually in this particular case, we could probalby put the storage locally on the media agent using a few SAS enclosures then the entire air gap solution lives on one physical server and can be physically unplugged.

Any thoughts, we would appeciate it.

Thank You,

Kevin

• Re: Air Gap solution using Selective Copys
    Posted: 12-18-2019, 5:16 PM

If it something that you really want then it sounds like it would technically work.  For instance Policy_SiteA has PrimaryCopy_SiteA, plus MediaAgent1_SiteA_SyncronousCopy, MediaAgent2_SiteA_SyncronousCopy, MediaAgent1_SiteB_SyncronousCopy, MediaAgent2_SiteB_SyncronousCopy.  That way MediaAgent2 at both SiteA and SiteB could have their copies disabled in the Storage Policy on the even months and reverse applied on odd months.  You would need at least 9-10 weeks of storage on the pimary copy though and this does put a bit pressure on the availability of the primary copy, so putting in place there highly available architecture would be required.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy