Vcenter Backup with multiple subclients

Last post 05-24-2020, 6:31 PM by Dbartman. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Vcenter Backup with multiple subclients
    Posted: 05-17-2020, 11:37 PM

We are currently backing up about 70 VM's using one subclient and one proxy server.

I would like to break out the VM's and spread them among multiple subclients. I think this would ease the load on the SAN during backup.

By using multiple subclients with 15-20 VM per subclients would allow the backups to done sooner and ease to trouble shoot in case of issues.

I would like to know what issues I may encounter by creating new subclients

Are there issues with moving VM's between subclients?

Would this require adding multiple proxy servers to manage the subclients?

• Re: Vcenter Backup with multiple subclients
    Posted: 05-19-2020, 3:12 AM

Basaically you can create the amount of subclients you want. We have in our environment clients with "for example" ten subclients, backing up 200 VMs.  We use rules or VM TAGS for the selection. if you TAG the VM, you don't need to moodify your subclients contents. If you use "filters" for example: "guest vm name" = "VM*9"; you will backup all VMs where the name begin with VM and end with "9". Or you can set filters.

Which proxy will be used for the backup, will be defined or in subclient properties or in "virtual server Instance properties"

:)  Jago

Posted: 05-19-2020, 11:41 AM

Hello and thanks for the reply.

So I have a few questions, If I have 1 subclient with all the VM's contained within, are there any issues when creating a new subclient and adding VM's from the orignal subclient?

Are you using more than one proxy to manage the subclients?

Posted: 05-19-2020, 5:22 PM

Sorry, as I am new and stll learning, VM Tags? Not sure that I heard that term, could you explain? thanks

Posted: 05-20-2020, 2:15 AM

I assume you want to "move" the VMs from original subclient to the new created subclient.

In this case what will happen is that the "moved" VMs will be backed up over the new subclient and not any more with the old one, that's it (no impact).  For restores purposes, havealso  no impact.

Posted: 05-20-2020, 2:16 AM
    Posted: 05-24-2020, 6:31 PM

Sorry for the delay, thank you for the information and replys. They are very helpful. Thankc

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy