New library

Last post 06-09-2011, 7:55 AM by Dannie. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • New library
    Posted: 06-02-2011, 12:31 AM

I am replacing a Dell TL2000 LTO3 single drive library with a Dell TL2000 LTO5 dual drive. 

Could someone give me the link to the best practice on how to do this to make sure everything transfers from the old library to the new (assigned media, etc)?

Thanks,

Kathy

• Re: New library
    Posted: 06-02-2011, 3:35 PM
    Posted: 06-02-2011, 5:27 PM

Thank you for the link, but will this work because the old library has LTO3 drives and the new library will have LTO5 drives.  The link states:

"The new library should have the same drive type"

That's why I was wondering how to go about this.

Thanks.

Kathy

Posted: 06-02-2011, 6:32 PM

I don't see how that is possible.  You will have to leave the old library completely functional physically and within Simpana or you will not be able to easily restore data from those tapes.  I have an LTO3 being replaced by an LTO5 and I anticipate leaving the LTO3 up until that data ages out (a year in my case).

Posted: 06-02-2011, 6:39 PM

Your LTO5 drives can write to LTO4 and LTO5 tapes but can only read LTO3 tapes. 

I have another library with new LTO5 drives and is currently reading from our LTO3 tapes for file restores and stub recoveries, etc.

We are only using LTO4 tapes right now to write to because they are cheaper to buy. When the cost of the LTO5 tapes drop then we can easily upgrade to those.

However, when this library only had the drives replaced not the library so the media wasn't an issue.

Posted: 06-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Thank you Vincenzo, the install completed without any issues.

Posted: 06-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Excellent news!

Posted: 06-06-2011, 10:50 AM

I don't understand why you'd have to do that.  LTO3 media is compatible with LTO5 drives.  Why isn't it as simple as adding the new library and changing the data paths and then just importing the old media as needed for restores?

Just my 1.4 cents (after taxes)
    Posted: 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM

If you deconfigure your current library, you will lose your list of assigned  media. Yes, the media will be recatorgized when you insert the media, but I think you lose the indexes so Commvault doesn't think the media exists...(i'm sure someone else can answer this better).

The reason I started this topic was the warning in the instructions: 

• The new library should have the same drive type

I took the 'drive type' to mean the LTO factor and if I was changing the drive type from LTO3 to LTO5. Obviously, this wasn't what they meant since the install went fine without any issues.

Posted: 06-09-2011, 7:55 AM

I recently upgraded one of the libraries from LTO-3 to LTO-5. The way I did this, was to create a new default scratch pool for the LTO-5 tapes, and setting up the SP's to use tapes from this pool.

The library now contains both LTO3 and LTO5 tapes, but Commvault will never try to write to an LTO3 tape.

If it jams, force it.
    If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy