Network Throttling at different hours of the day between MediaAgents

Last post 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM by Bill Oyler. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Network Throttling at different hours of the day between MediaAgents
    Posted: 06-03-2011, 4:49 PM

I see that Simpana 9 has a new Network Throttling feature that works between all iDA's and MediaAgents at the Client-level (new tab - Network Throttling).  I am trying to get it to work between two MediaAgents where we are doing large DASH Copies between sites and we want to restrict bandwidth during business hours but not after hours/before hours.  We configured the rules to restrict bandwidth from 8am to 5pm, but the rules don't seem to be taking effect (our WAN is being utilized 100% during Aux Copy operations).  Questions:

1) Is the unit of measurement Kbps or KBps?  The GUI says Kbps so that's what I'm assuming.

2) How quickly do the throttling rules take affect?  Do I need to restart any services?  Wait for jobs to finish?  Restart aux copy job?

3) Do you need to configure throttling on both MediaAgents, or just one of them?

4) If you just configure throttling for a certain period of time (i.e. 8am to 5pm), and don't configure throttling for any other time periods, is it smart enough to run "full speed" at all other times?

Thanks!

• Re: Network Throttling at different hours of the day between MediaAgents
    Posted: 06-03-2011, 5:09 PM

Hello Boylerscs,

1) I've got a setup similar to yours. The speed is indeed Kbps and not KBps. We have a 40 mbit pipe between HQ and our DR site and I've got it setup to use 25600 Kbps (25 mbit) during the day and 32768 (32 mbit) at night.

2) To take effect, I had to restart the services on both MAs (I didn't take chances though I think only the one that has the rule probably needed a restart). I first tried without restarting the services and our network guy said I was still using all the pipe.

3) No, just one of them. But I did configure both send and receive rates.

4) I'm not 100% sure because we didn't want to use 100% of the pipe even at night to allow other DR replication processes to work well. I would assume that it would go back to 100% as well. Would be easy to test with your network guy. Just set a limit from now to 5 minutes later and see how it reacts. When I did that, we could see the limit being raised/lower at the minute I had set it up.

Phil

• Re: Network Throttling at different hours of the day between MediaAgents
    Posted: 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Thanks!  Restarting the service at the source MediaAgent seemed to do the trick.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy