Current version stability?

Last post 07-05-2011, 10:40 PM by zzz. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Current version stability?
    Posted: 06-29-2011, 4:33 AM

Hey guys

I'm running Simpana 8 SP5 and have been holding off on upgrading to 9 as I seem to remember seeing threads earlier that sounded like people were having issues. I notice we're now up to SP2b so have most of the niggles now been ironed out? Any big things I should watch out for?

Very many thanks

Lucy

• Re: Current version stability?
    Posted: 06-29-2011, 10:47 AM

I'd wait to see if SP2b resolves the more common niggles. We still have various weird issues, especially with the SQL iDA. We are on SP2a now, and are upgrading to SP2b today.

Brian

Posted: 06-30-2011, 6:21 AM

Thanks very much Brian. Perhaps I'll keep an eye on the forums for now and wait for SP2B to have bedded in properly before going for it :)

Posted: 07-04-2011, 5:34 AM

I havent seen any general stability issues with my customers related to CV9.

We had 2 custoemrs with issues after applying SP2a, however after a rollback they worked fine again. Both environments however are "special" and prone to freak occurences.

Both customers have applied SP2b on the day it became available and are running without issues since.

Don't see any issue applying SP2b now.

Posted: 07-04-2011, 7:43 AM

Sebastian:

I havent seen any general stability issues with my customers related to CV9.

We had 2 custoemrs with issues after applying SP2a, however after a rollback they worked fine again. Both environments however are "special" and prone to freak occurences.

Both customers have applied SP2b on the day it became available and are running without issues since.

Don't see any issue applying SP2b now.

I have to disagree with this statement.

SP2a is stable in or environment, but SP2b, when applied to CS, causes archived stub recalls to fail.  It also seems to introduce random issues with media library access.  I have a case open for this, but we are not the only customer with SP2b issues.

SP2b is OK on MAs and clients.

Posted: 07-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Thanks to everyone that took the trouble to reply. I think I will give it a few weeks and see what comes up on the forums, and take the plunge. It will probably take me that long to actually plan out what I need to do anyway :)

Posted: 07-05-2011, 10:37 AM

FYI:  We upgraded to SP2b, and applied the three post-SP2b updates, without any issues.

Posted: 07-05-2011, 10:43 AM

BrianClark:

FYI:  We upgraded to SP2b, and applied the three post-SP2b updates, without any issues.

Do you do file archiving using Simpana?  SP2b broke Centera stub recalls in our environment.

Posted: 07-05-2011, 7:44 PM
    • zzz is not online. Last active: 12-03-2015, 7:57 PM zzz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Adept
    • Points 261

I was thinking of upgrading to SP2b, but failed while installing it on the CS. Could be the fact that the CS is a VMware server (it's a test server). Maybe I can wait for SP3......

With SP2a, I'm experiencing big trouble on Commvault Exchange proxy server. The user profile goes missing or "delegatesprofile" is created, which causes failure of Exchange public folder backup and email archiving jobs everyday. I was told that the fix will be included in SP3, so that I'm not very keen to get SP2b done.

Posted: 07-05-2011, 9:07 PM

With regards to the Exchange proxy issue, this isn't something that was introduced with SP2a, its an intermittant issue that could theoretically pop up any time.

We did issue a patch in SP2 to help avoid the problem going forward.  You can create the following registry for each of the agents that you use

Name: CreateProcessSpecificProfile

Type: DWORD

Value: 1

Location: agent specific registry key .  (i.e. \MSExchangeMBAgent or \ExchangeArchiver or \MSExchangeMBDMAgent )

There is a secondary patch coming in SP3 which will fix a similar issue for delegate collection (which uses the delegatesprofile Profile), but this first patch should get your jobs running.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 07-05-2011, 10:28 PM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Adept
    • Points 261

Hi SReents,

Yes, that registry key was put in our proxy server about 2 months ago and unfortunately it didn't work the way we wanted.

I did see this happen several time in previous version of Commvault, but not frequently. Somehow, this happens everyday after we started using MAPI 64bits. Not really want to roll back to Windows 2003 with MAPI 32bits, so that I would rather wait for SP3.

Posted: 07-05-2011, 10:32 PM

this is interesting.  do you have a ticket open with support, id like to look over the recent logs if you have any with these errors

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 07-05-2011, 10:40 PM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Adept
    • Points 261
    Case Number: 110523-000530
    We searched Commvault logs and couldn't find anything. The profile go missing or delegatesprofile is created. Either one will fail backup process through MAPI. With delegatesprofile + real profile, it does not affect recall until the backup process starts.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy