MediaAgent MagLib - Multiple Paths

Last post 07-05-2011, 9:52 AM by Rafter. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • MediaAgent MagLib - Multiple Paths
    Posted: 06-27-2011, 5:20 AM

Hi guys,

Can you tell me if a windows media agent (v9) supports multi-path software, such as EMC Powerpath.

Currently we have a windows MA, which has HBA's to the SAN where the Mag Libs are defined.  There is no multi-path software installed (previously v7 MA when installed it didn't support powerpath apparently) so within windows disk management there are multiple disks for the same location.  I.e. there are 4 paths to that location, so 4 disks are displayed.
    Some are disabled, some unallocated and the other assigned as a drive mount (maglib).

How do you decide which one to disable, leave unallocated or assign as a drive?  I've had a look for some documentation but can't find anything.  I think its to do with the bus locations, but not sure?

If multipathing software, EMC Powerpath, was installed then only 1 device would be shown.

This could be setup this way as it was previously a v7 MA, but i'd like to add an additional mount path to the maglib but not sure which to allocate and disable.

Any advice would be great Laughing

• Re: MediaAgent MagLib - Multiple Paths
    Posted: 06-27-2011, 6:49 PM

I can just report about Windows MPIO (for HP EVAs): we always use MPIO for all LUNs, also for LUNs with MagLibs. Not a single issue so far, regardless of the MPIO-setting (fixed path, SQST, ALUA, ...).

I doubt that a MagLib will work on a LUN with multiple presented paths and no multipathing-driver, as windows will see the LUN several times and treats it as separate disks - leading to unpredictibale results...

So, either just present one path, or use a multi-pathing driver.

But I have no statement from CommVault at hand.

Posted: 07-04-2011, 7:51 AM

Our MediaAgents have always run with PowerPath, connected to Clariion CX700 arrays for the MagLibs.  We have, over the years, run with Galaxy v5 & v6 and Simpana v8 / v9.

Posted: 07-05-2011, 9:52 AM

Thanks for that, I'm just repeating what I was told when the initial install on Simpana v7 was done.

I think I'll get Powerpath installed and go from there!!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy