SQL Cluster: No Unconfigured SQL Instances Found

Last post 07-24-2010, 12:08 PM by Ron Potts. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SQL Cluster: No Unconfigured SQL Instances Found
    Posted: 07-06-2010, 10:11 AM

I have configured a sql cluster and try to backup it.

Installed the FS IDA's on the physical nodes

After that i installed the FS and SQL Ida's on the virtual node.

Now when i right click on the SQL ida in the virtual node i select All Tasks and then New SQL Server. Then i get on the screen: No Unconfigured SQL Instances found.

What can i check here??

• Re: SQL Cluster: No Unconfigured SQL Instances Found
    Posted: 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM

You can receive this issue for a few reasons. When you try to configure the Sql instance, we will check for the installed instances from the registry on the server.

A few things to check there is to make sure SQL 2005/2008 backwards compatibility pack is installed on SQL server
    also SMO package (comes with SQL 2005 backwards compatibility pack) is installed on SQL server

Also if this is a 32 bit instance of Sql running on a 64bit OS, we will be looking to the 64 registry for the instances, where they will not exist. In this case you will need to install the 32 bit agent.

What version of Windows and Sql?

What version of CV? also, if course make sure the Commvault update have been applied also.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks, Michael

Posted: 07-08-2010, 5:49 AM

Backwards compatibility pack is installed.

Os and SQL are 64bit

Os is Windows 2003 server Enterprise X64

SQL is SQL2000 64bit

VC is version 8 fully updated.

Posted: 07-08-2010, 8:59 AM

Hi Riconl,

Usually SQL 2000 is 32bit unless it is a Itanium System since this is the only 64bit architecture that Microsoft supported with SQL 2000. Can you confirm? If it was 32bit SQL on a 64bit system this would explain why you can not configure the instance since we are only looking at 64bit instances with the 64bit iDA. In this case the 32bit iDA would be required. Can you also check CVD on the SQL client machine for any hints. This is where it would log the reason why you could not configure the instance.

Let us know what you find!

Thanks!

Ron Potts

Ron Potts
    CommVault Messaging Support
    Posted: 07-13-2010, 9:14 PM

Hey Riconl,

Did you find Ron's suggestion helpful?

Posted: 07-16-2010, 5:34 AM

Yes was very helpfull.

I removed everything from the cluster. Then installed the 32bit client on the physical nodes. After that i installed the 32bit clients for file and sql on the virtual nodes. Had to do some registry changes to get the sql client installed but after that it worked. Is already backing up the cluster.

This was the article i used for the registry changes:

http://documentation.commvault.com/Dell/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/deployment/install/quick_start_guide_others/install_32bit_on_64bit.htm

Now there is on the same cluster also a SQL 2005 64bit...need to backup that one as well.....will config that one of these days and hope it also works.

Think i need to install a 64bit file client on the physical nodes for that...will get a new instance then. And after that the 64bit file and sql client on the virtual nodes.

Posted: 07-16-2010, 7:11 AM

Ok did the install for the 64bit SQL2005 in the same cluster.

I only het a yellow icon in commserve with sql2000 but not one with sql2005

I see a commvault cluster plugin installed on all the nodes but only for instance001(sql2000) should there also be one for instance002(sql2005/64bit) ??

Posted: 07-16-2010, 4:17 PM

CommVault needs to be installed to every virtual instance you wish to backup.  So if you have two clustered instances of SQL on this server, a plugin should show up for both of them.

Posted: 07-20-2010, 7:00 AM

Well i installed it to both virtual instances but onlie the plugin for the sql2000 shows.

Should i manually install that plugin for the sql2005?? if yes how do i do it? I am talking about the Commvault Cluster Plugin

Posted: 07-20-2010, 1:09 PM

Hi Riconl,

When you did the installation of the 64bit, did you make sure to give it a unique client name/interface name?

Thanks!

Ron Potts

Ron Potts
    Posted: 07-21-2010, 6:14 AM

I gave it the same name but with an A behind it. For example sql2000 became sql2000A

And the interface name is in the second instance binded to the ip address instead the fqdn.

Posted: 07-24-2010, 12:08 PM

Hi Riconl,

Typically when multi-instancing we recommend you configure the second instance with a unique client name and unique interface name that is resolvable through either DNS through a CNAME or Host Files. So for Example:

Client Name: SQL2000A

Interface Name: SQL2000A.MYCOMPANY.COM

The interface name would need to be resolvable by all the Media Agents it may use as well as the CommServe and the Client itself.

If you are still having problems, let me know where you are currently stuck at and I will lend some assistance.

Thanks!

Ron Potts

Ron Potts
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy