Reinstall of cloned server deconfigures original machine

Last post 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM by Bill Baumann. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Reinstall of cloned server deconfigures original machine
    Posted: 08-28-2011, 11:03 PM

Hi,

I am cloning a Windows server say called "A" and the new server is called say "B".

"A" has a Commvault Windows filesystem agent on it.

When I want to reinstall the Commvault agent on server "B":

1. I first remove the filesystem agent then the base software on "B"

2. Install the Windows agent from DVD on "B"

It is necessary to reinstall the agent on "B" as the Commvault server name in the registry is still known as "A". However step 1. deconfigures "client computer" "A" on the commserv.

Is there a way I can resintall the Commvault agent without it deconfiguring "client computer" "A"?

I am using Commvault version 9.

• Re: Reinstall of cloned server deconfigures original machine
    Posted: 08-29-2011, 7:09 AM

There isn't really.

Only way to work around this is to rename client A via the Commcell console (right click -> properties -> General -> Edit).

Then reinstall the client on server B, and change the name for server A back.

This will probably screw up the (Commvault) registry on the client, but if you have multi-homed (i.e. production and management interface) machines, this might be an option.

During install on server B, you are asked for a clientname. If you specify a different one it should create a seperate client.

If it jams, force it.
    If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
    Posted: 09-05-2011, 1:55 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,581

manual removal of commvault software on cloned machine:

1) Stop the CommVault Services on the Client

2) Navigate to the installation drive under Program Files remove the CommVault and/or CommVault Systems Folder

3) Backup the registry

4) Open the registry and delete the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GxCVD(Instancexxx)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GxEvMgrC(Instancexxx)

Please note in versions earlier than 7.0, Instancexxx would be ControlSetxxx

5) Once the registry keys and the installation folder are removed you can then install the new machine

or 

The procedure would be to register the new client, as described at the link:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/deployment/install/misc/decoupled_install_how_to.htm#register_client

While in step 4 use the override to configure the proper host name and client name for the client.
    Posted: 09-08-2011, 9:47 PM

Hi,

The alternative is to put in a fake IP address of the Commserve in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file so the uninstall will not update the Commserve.

Once you complete your uninstall remove the entry from the hosts file and perform a new install.

Posted: 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM

The act of running a add\remove on the Win iDA is what deconfigures it in the CS. You should either use the manual removal posted by Liam which will not deconfigure client A, or before you put the machine on the network add the host file with a fake CS IP so it cannot talk to the CS during the uninstall. Personally i do the manual removal to avoid other erros abotu not being able to talk tothe CS during the uninstall using a fake IP.

Thanks,

Bill

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy