Backup Exchange DB's over SAN instead of Network

Last post 10-29-2010, 1:21 PM by Stephanie Fuller. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backup Exchange DB's over SAN instead of Network
    Posted: 07-07-2010, 4:22 PM

I've read some mention of backing up Virtual Machines by presenting the ESX luns to the MDA.

SAN backup I believe they call it.

Can the same type of thing work for regular NTFS drives on a SAN Lun?

Does it need a special agent?

I'm particularly interested in backing up my exchande db's over SAN instead of network.

If anyone can point me to some documentation on how to configure it would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Backup Exchange DB's over SAN instead of Network
    Posted: 07-07-2010, 4:54 PM

The easiest way of doing this would be for your exchange server to also be a Media Agent, therby eliminating the current data transfer over the LAN from the client to the MA which then sends the data to the SAN. Since there is not a way to have a client communicate directly with the SAN a MA needs to be invloved to handle the transfer to the SAN, if the exchange server was a MA we just need to configure it to use the lib that is SAN connected to it (either a new one or one you already have depends on your exact configurations and what you want to do).

If there is a way of sending data from a client to a SAN directly i am unware of it in regards to FS\Exchange\DB etc backups.

Posted: 07-07-2010, 10:13 PM

There are a few other options, but I would suggest Bill's is the best / most straight forward way of doing things.

CDR has the ability to replicate VSS Snaps of Exchange DB to a seperate SAN location, you can back them up there and revert to that copy if you wish. Usually only done for compliance, not simply data protection.

Snap Protect can also integrate with VSS or EMC/Equalogic/Ontap/QSNAP(CV Snap Engine) to perform Snap Backup of Exchange Databases as well. More for compliance once again. 

Books online has some good info on setting this up, your local Commvault PS should probably be contacted for implementation.

cheers

DR Donnie

-----

"4860 110c 09/26 12:53:14 ###### [CVD ] we got a weird type of control message. Heavens tell me!"
    Posted: 10-20-2010, 3:27 PM

I'm new to CommVault, and wonder if I understand this correctly, and if I can do it with an Oracle database backup.

I'm imagining I install the Oracle iDA on my oracle database server which is connected to my Hitachi SAN via fiber switches.  And I install a Media Agent also on this oracle database server.  If that is the correct procedure so far, how do the (now I have 2) Media Agents share the tape library (also in the same fiber switch fabric)?  I would probably have to add the tape library/drives to the database server's zone in the fiber switch fabric?  Would that scenario allow me to write the database backup from SAN directly to tape, off-band?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Posted: 10-21-2010, 1:35 AM

dont forget to take into account you will need another MA license if you expand out the number of MAs.

Posted: 10-29-2010, 1:21 PM

So, my plan is correct?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy