vmware tools with VADP?

Last post 07-20-2010, 4:43 AM by Calippo. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • vmware tools with VADP?
    Posted: 07-09-2010, 10:57 AM

I am on SIMPANA 8 and vsphere ...

Someone mentionned here that the vmware tools have to be 'not too old' in order for all this to work...

Keeping the tools up to date on virtual machines is quite hard because... it requires a reboot to bring them up to date...

How far back can be "acceptable" with the vmware tools?

• Re: vmware tools with VADP?
    Posted: 07-09-2010, 12:00 PM

Hello Claudette,  We don't require a specifc version of VMWare Tools.  Although it would be recommended to be supported by VMWare.  If VMWare has stopped support of the version you are using then it would be recommended to be on a support version.   I can't say this won't be a requirement in the future so you will want to check our requirements from time to time, especially when you upgrade to the next version of Simpana.  This can change if we get many reported issues on a particular older version.

Mark Spencer
    CommVault, Business Critical Support
    Posted: 07-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Hi Claudette,

Always best practice to have the most recent version of VMware tools if possible.

However at a bare minimum I would recommend at least having a version that corresponds to the version of ESX that you are on. (i.e. I wouldn’t recommend running ESX 4 and leaving the guest VM’s running their legacy tools from 3.5)

Posted: 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Claudette,

I would say if the Vmware tools were upgraded along with the environment version you should be OK; meaning if you upgraded from ESX 3.5 to 4.0 and upgraded the VMware tools also at that time to the latest you should be OK.  I would think upgrading ESX/vCenter to 4.0 and not upgrading the machines Vmware tools you might expose yourself to complications. 

Remember the role of VMware tools for VADP backup, involves quiescing of the application/file system, so keeping them up to date is important.

Posted: 07-12-2010, 10:27 AM

What grade server do you need to effectively get the best performance out of the VMWare tools, 2000, 2003, 2008 etc.

Posted: 07-20-2010, 4:43 AM

Just keep in mind that you need a faily recent version of VMTools if you wish to use the VSS support for Windows VM snaps. I believe VSS support arrived in something like 3.5update2. So you would want to update VMTools and then add the VSS option via the Add/Change Programs control panel, otherwise you are stuck with the legacy Sync driver.

Only a fresh install of VMTools will have VSS included by default.

VSS gives you the much better constancy for Windows snaps, as described in the VMware Virtual Machine Backup Guide.

Calippo
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy