VADP Backups on ESXi Free

Last post 11-04-2011, 11:32 AM by Mand. 25 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VADP Backups on ESXi Free
    Posted: 10-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Hi,

Currently we are backing up our Virtual machines using VC and we are also backing up VMs on two ESXi Free hypervisors. We are receiving a problem backing up our VMs in the ESXi Free environment. Some of the VMs Are backing up fine however we have a few with the following message in the logs :

system.web.services.protocols.soapexception: fault.RestrictedVersion.summary

I have been told that this is a problem with backing up using VADP on the ESXi Free hypervisor and it isn’t support on the Free version and that we need to purchase separate licenses. However this doesn’t explain why it works for some VMs.

IF this is the case and VADP is not supported on ESXi Free , is there a way we can revert back to using VCB?

Our environment is setup on:

Version 8 SP6

Media agent and VM backing up proxy is : windows 2008 64bit and has the VCB and VDDK kit installed.

Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: VADP Backups on ESXi Free
    Posted: 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM

you can use the vStorageEnable registry key and set it to 0

Then install the Consolidated backup software 1.5 update 2 and run the backup. Keep in mind it is not supported in version 5

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\<Instance>\VirtualServer
    Registry Type: DWORD
    Registry Name: vStorageEnable
    Registry Value: 0 (Decimal)

Client Team Supervisor - Focus on Virtualization
    Follow me on Twitter - @wfarinella
    Posted: 10-26-2011, 1:39 PM

What version of ESXi?

Posted: 10-26-2011, 2:17 PM

@Mand - can you attach the vsbkp.log from the machine that has the Virtual Server iDA installed?

I would like to see why some machines are backing up and some are failing.

Posted: 10-27-2011, 6:03 AM

Hi Guys thanks for all your comments,

Willie - I'll try and revert back if we dont get anywhere with the VADP or cannot do it because of the design of ESXi

Vincenzo - The version is 4.1 update 1

I've uploaded the logs. Look for job IDs 393960 ESXi Free platform and 393963 on our VC, ESX hosts running 4.1 update 1 again.

Thanks again

Attachment: vsbkp.zip
    Posted: 10-27-2011, 8:42 AM

i can see that machine ipsos-mori.com falls under this category but i dont see through any of the historic logs that backup was successful for that machine.

Posted: 10-27-2011, 9:07 AM

Hi Vincenzo,

The last time the machine had a successful backup was around 3-4 weeks ago and those logs have been pruned off i guess. The machines that should fall under the same category are as follows

ipsos-mori.com

Qlick FE

Drupal1

I have attached the logs from last night now. Job id 394943

We also have some more VMS that fail for another hypervisor with the same error.

Attachment: logs_1319720682.cab
    Posted: 10-27-2011, 9:30 AM

Mand - For the following VM's Qlick FE, ipsos-mori.com currently has a snapshot and should be removed so the job is able to create it.

Please remove this snapshot and try the job again.

[2011-10-25 21:03:17.155 'vcbMounter' 3296 error] Error: Backup snapshot already exists.

For VM Drupal1 it successfully backed up on 10/25.

5280 1c10 10/25 23:05:45 393960 vsbkp::HandleVMComplete() - Successfully backed up VM [Drupal1]
    5280 1af4 10/25 23:05:45 393960 vsbkp::Wait() - Done processing VM Drupal1

Posted: 10-27-2011, 11:20 AM

I'll try this tonight and keep you posted on its progress

Thanks

Posted: 10-28-2011, 4:23 AM

I ran the job again last night and unfortunately it still comes up with the same failed items. Well this time only two of the three

ipsos-mori - skipped VCB mounter reported a failure
    Drupal1 - skipped VCB mounter reported a failure

I've got some logs here of job 396131 if you wouldn't mind taking a look

Attachment: logs_1319787509.cab
    Posted: 10-28-2011, 8:26 AM

I dont see the logs from the VS iDA in there... can you attach just the vsbkp.log?

Posted: 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Hi, Here is the vsbkp logs

Attachment: vsbkp_2.zip
    Posted: 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Mand - For VM Drupal1 it could not be found. You may need to do a discover and and add it again and remove the existing one.

For VM ipsos-mori it looks like you ran out of disk space on "F:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\iDataAgent\JobResults\CV_JobResults\iDataAgent\VirtualServerAgent\2\329\"

1420 13dc 10/28 01:24:59 396131 CVMWareInfo::GetVMInfoForVM() - GetVMInfoForVM Failed for VM[Drupal1]
    1420 13dc 10/28 01:24:59 396131 CVMWareInfo::_MountVM_VCB4() - VM [564daa06-56c8-9116-421e-ede4dd2d459a] Not found!!
    1420 13dc 10/28 01:24:59 396131 CVMWareInfo::MountVM() - MountVM_VCB4() failed!!

[2011-10-28 00:13:09.595 'vcbMounter' 3844 error] Error: Failed to export the disk: There is not enough space on the disk

[2011-10-28 00:13:09.595 'vcbMounter' 3844 error] An error occurred, cleaning up...

Posted: 10-28-2011, 11:34 AM

I'll have to check but i think it may be erroring because like you said we have no space. It might be that we have no space to snapshot the VMs on our SAN leading to the failures. I'll check space....

I may have to revert to VCB backups. To do this do i just use the previous registry key given by you on the media agent? :

you can use the vStorageEnable registry key and set it to 0

Then install the Consolidated backup software 1.5 update 2 and run the backup. Keep in mind it is not supported in version 5

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\<Instance>\VirtualServer

Posted: 10-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Hi,

I switched the backups to use VCB using the registry key fix. Even rebooted the media agent after the registry key change. However i am still finding the same error message for ipsos-mori.com and drupal1:

VM name ...."Skipped VCBMounter reported a failure"

Now im really confused. I've attached the log files from job 398943 if you wouldn't mind taking a look:

Attachment: logs_1320075969.cab
    Posted: 10-31-2011, 12:28 PM

Mand - The logs you sent up do not contain the VSBKP.log files.

Please attach the VSBKP*.log files and the vixdisklib*.log files (* being all versions)

I will see what I can find for you.

Posted: 10-31-2011, 12:35 PM

Opps i keep doing that , here it is....

Attachment: vsbkp.zip
    Posted: 10-31-2011, 12:52 PM

Mand:

Hi,

I switched the backups to use VCB using the registry key fix. Even rebooted the media agent after the registry key change. However i am still finding the same error message for ipsos-mori.com and drupal1:

VM name ...."Skipped VCBMounter reported a failure"

Now im really confused. I've attached the log files from job 398943 if you wouldn't mind taking a look:

Mand - Here is what I am seeing VM ipsos-mori.com failed because there was not enough space on F:\ to suppport the VMDK files. You need to do one of the following to resolve this:

1 - Increase the space on the F:\ drive

2 - Move the job results folder to a location that has more space on it. (See link below for instructions for this)

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/client/client_how_to.htm#client_job_results_path

Change the Job Results Path of a Client

Before You Begin

Review Using UNC Paths for Job Results Directory

Required Capability: Capabilities and Permitted Actions

To change the job results path of a client:

1. From the CommCell Browser, right-click the icon of the client computer (the VSA EUUKMIKBAK2) whose job results path you want to change, and then click Properties.
    2. From the Job Configuration tab of the Client Computer Properties dialog box, if necessary or desired, click User Name/Password to establish or change the Impersonate User account to access the Job Results Directory. If you do this, click OK once you have administered the account.
    3. From the Job Configuration tab, type a new job results path in the Job results pathfield.

You can also click Browse to browse to a new job results path from the Browse for Job Result Path dialog box. Click OK.

4. Click OK to save your changes.

4164 1390 10/31 10:20:51 398943 CVMWareMount::MountVM() - VCBMounter Failed. Please check vcbmounter logs.
    4164 1390 10/31 10:20:51 398943 CVMWareInfo::MountVM() - Retrying Mount...[0/1]
    4164 1390 10/31 10:20:52 398943 vsbkp::CheckVMInfoError() - VCBMounter Failed
    4164 1390 10/31 10:20:52 398943 vsbkp::CheckVMInfoError() - VM [ipsos-mori.com] VCBMounter reported a failure.

[2011-10-31 10:20:12.579 'vcbMounter' 5100 error] Error: Failed to export the disk: There is not enough space on the disk

[2011-10-31 10:20:12.579 'vcbMounter' 5100 error] An error occurred, cleaning up...

For VM drupal1

[2011-10-31 11:20:00.671 'vcbMounter' 4132 error] Error: Could not find virtual machine specified by uuid:564daa06-56c8-9116-421e-ede4dd2d459a

Please do the following for this VM:

Please right click on the subclient and click on Properties

goto content and click on configure

click on the VM drupal1 and choose the blank entry from the dropdown

click on OK then OK again.

right click on the subclient and click on Properties

goto content and click on configure

then click on Discover

Select the VM drupal1 and assign it to the sublient

click on OK then OK again.

Posted: 10-31-2011, 1:58 PM

While not directly related to the issue above that Willie is assisting you with, you can review the link below regarding what features are included with each license level of ESX(i).

http://www.vmware.com/files_inline/images/vsphere_detailed_comparison.gif

Note you need Essentials or greater licensing to leverage vStorage API.

Posted: 11-02-2011, 3:31 AM
    Hi,

Does the mean if I am using the same mediaagent to backup a virtual centre that is licensed with enterprise and also backup VMs on a hypervisor using esxi basic (free) I can only choose VADP or VCB backups types. VADP not being an option as its not supported by the free version. I guess that means I'm stuck using VCB until I get licensed properly in Jan 2012.

Not sure how or why I was able to backup both VC and the free hypervisors using VADP 5/6 weeks ago. Only thing I have changed within that time is updating all my mediaagents and commcell to SP6. Could there have been a loop hole within the software before this!?

Thanks
    Mandeep

P.s

I will check the contents of the F drive as posted by willieF this morning and let you know what happens.
    Posted: 11-02-2011, 11:07 AM

@Mand - If you have licensed versions of ESX (Enterprise) and free versions then the ESX hosts that have the enterprise license will use the VADP method to backup VM's from these hosts if you have the type set on the backup set to automatic.

The ESX hosts that are the Free version will use VCBMounter (Consolidated Backup Method)

Posted: 11-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Would you say its best to revert back the registry key on the media agent below so it uses VADP on the VC enterprised licenses. So im guessing that in allinstances if CV cannot use VADP to backup it reverts to VCB backups?

Also as a test i created a new subclient using exact same storage policy and added ipsos-mori VM to it and it successfully backed up. Ive also added drupal1 and im going to see if it backs both of these........

Posted: 11-02-2011, 11:29 AM

If you set this registry key to 1 it will try and use VADP (this key is not required in version 9). If it is unable to use VADP (in your case due to using the free version of ESX) then it will revert back to VCB (Consolidated Backup).

The reason the new subclient worked is because you did a new discover for that subclient and it found the VM with the correct GUID (UUID in VMware)

Posted: 11-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Ah i see. Ok im going change all of the failing VMs to the default "blank" no subclient then apply and then change them back to the correct subclient and see if they run.

Posted: 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM

How did that work for you?

If everything is working now please remember to mark the post as solved so others can find solutions faster

Posted: 11-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Hi,

Just going to preform the last test tonight to make sure it all works. From the previous test it looks good..... Will update tomorrow morning on situation

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy