Java GUI - Ahead of Cache

Last post 07-14-2010, 9:32 AM by Trekrod1. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Java GUI - Ahead of Cache
    Posted: 07-12-2010, 10:01 AM

When checking updates on my CommServe......I always see this update status for the Java Gui:

Package:  Jave Gui

Updates:  14851

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks.

• Re: Java GUI - Ahead of Cache
    Posted: 07-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Hello Davis226,  Update 14851 is a obsolete update.  The most common fix to correct this GUI issue is to find some down time and pull all updates from the CommServe and Re-install.  If you are not comfortable with doing this please call our hotline and we can assist. 

Mark Spencer
    CommVault, Business Critical Support
    Posted: 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Hi Davis226.

The "Ahead of cache" serves the following purpose.  If a client (CL) or MediaAgent (MA) or CS (CommServe) has an update applied manually to it and the CVUpdate Cache on the CS does not have that update in its set then you will receive this message.  There is nothing wrong with this until the update becomes obsolete since then you will not be able to use the CopyToCache utility to then populate the CVUpdates folder set on the CS.

Mspencers' solution is for your case but in general if you do apply an update to a specific CL, MA or CS; Best Practice is once you confirm the update is working as expected to then copy that update to the CVUpdates folder so that it gets registered and is available to apply to any other servers in the CommCell it applies to.  Also when it does go obsolete and a new update replaces it the CS download updates process will recognize this and remove it automatically from the CVUpdates folder and replace it with the newer update.

Posted: 07-12-2010, 6:10 PM

I too have this update as showing as ahead of cache for my commcell.  Im not comfortable with removing all updates then reinstalling on the commcell.  Could really do with update 14851 being made available then i could import it into the cache.  This update was applied manually last year when setting up the new commserve by a contractor and i cannot find the package i installed :(

Posted: 07-13-2010, 8:23 AM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 08-09-2019, 1:49 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,671

I believe what the earlier poster meant was to remove ALL updates and then re-install the servicepack plus any additional updates that may be in the cache.  That should clear out this "rouge" update that is reported in the GUI.  

This can be done by going in to the Base folder and running the RemoveUpdates.exe binary.  This will give you the option to remove all updates.  Once complete, reinstall all updates by either pushing them out from the GUI, or by running the InstallUpdates from the SP4 CD or from the root of the downloaded SP4 folder.

You do not have to re-install the commcell.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 07-13-2010, 7:32 PM

ahh ok makes sense.

Posted: 07-13-2010, 11:34 PM
    Thanks Ernie, That is correct.... :-). This should fix the problem.
    Mark Spencer
    CommVault, Business Critical Support
    Posted: 07-14-2010, 9:32 AM

Hi Davis 226,

Just so you know.  This fix will work as the obsolete update 14851 was replaced by 15216 which is part of SP4.

If the problem occurs for an update that is released after a Service Pack then the CVUpdate Cache will also have to be updated with whichever update replaces the obsolete update reporting the ahead of cache.  This will require the use of the CopyToCache utility located in the base folder of the CommServe (CS).

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy