Virtual Server Agent discover failing

Last post 07-12-2010, 9:10 PM by Sky. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Virtual Server Agent discover failing
    Posted: 07-10-2010, 8:11 PM

I'm attempting to configure the Virtual Server Agent for VADP backups with Simpana 8 SP4 (fully updated to current). I've successfully installed VSA on the proxy server and configured it to talk to our vCenter server, however it never retrieves a list of VMs from the vCenter. The EvMgrC.log on the proxy shows the following whenever I try to discover VMs:

468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMDiskInfo::_GetVDDKInstallPath() - Using vStorage VDDK from ["C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\"]
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMDiskInfo::_DynLoadDiskLib() - Can't load vixDiskLib shared library DLL 7e
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMWareInfo::CVMWareInfo() - App Name from VMInfo:[EvMgrC]
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMWareInfo::CVMWareInfo() - Focus Name from VMInfo:[Instance001]
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMWareInfo::Connect() - Connecting to Url=[https://10.150.10.1/sdk] User=[root]
    468 1 07/11 12:01:02 ### ### CVIWrapper::Connect --- Start>>
    468 1 07/11 12:01:02 ### ### CVIWrapper::Connect --- Connection Failed with [Connect failed System.Net.WebExceptionSystem.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (502) Bad Gateway.
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at VimApi.VimService.RetrieveServiceContent(ManagedObjectReference _this)
       at VISDKWrapper.SvcConnection.Connect(String url, String username, String password)
       at VISDKWrapper.CVIWrapper.Connect(String strUrl, String strUser, String strPwd, String& strErr)]
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMWareInfo::Connect() - VISDKCppBridge::Connect failed [Connect failed System.Net.WebExceptionSystem.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (502) Bad Gateway.
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at VimApi.VimService.RetrieveServiceContent(ManagedObjectReference _this)
       at VISDKWrapper.SvcConnection.Connect(String url, String username, String password)
       at VISDKWrapper.CVIWrapper.Connect(String strUrl, String strUser, String strPwd, String& strErr)]
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMManualDisc::_GetHostInfoListOfVS() - Connect Failed server=[10.150.10.1] User=[root]
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMManualDisc::GetVirtualGuestHostList() - _GetHostInfoListOfVS failed for server [10.150.10.1]!!. Moving to the next server if any
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMManualDisc::GetVirtualGuestHostList() - Discovery in all server(s) failed.
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### ::onMsgGetManualDiscoveryForVirtualServerClient() - GetVirtualGuestHostList failed!
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### ::onMsgGetManualDiscoveryForVirtualServerClient() - end
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### ::processMessage() - Got [MSG_GET_VS_DISCOVERY_FROM_CLIENT] as minfo->type == MSG_GET_VS_DISCOVERY_FROM_CLIENT)
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### ::MainThread() - Socket [2312]: Dropped due to rmask

I can browse the vCenter web site from the proxy server (and itself) fine, and although there are firewalls involved I've temporarily disabled them with the same results. The proxy server and vCenter server have an interface on the same network segment (10.150.10.0/24) - as you can see from above the vCenter server is on 10.150.10.1 and the proxy server is 10.150.10.4.

Happy to log a support ticket, but thought I'd ask here first in case I'm missing something obvious.

Regards, Jon.

• Re: Virtual Server Agent discover failing
    Posted: 07-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Hello John Waite,

I noticed you said you're fully updated, however I wanted to doublecheck that you have Simpana update 18179 installed as it should address this issue.

Posted: 07-11-2010, 4:44 PM

Hi Stephen,

The proxy server for VSA has update 18179 on it, however the CommCell server hasn't yet due to running jobs. Is this likely to be the cause ? I should be able to get 18179 on the CommCell later today and retest.

Regards, Jon.

Update: Just updated the CommCell to latest patches (including 18179) and the issue remains. I'll open a support ticket.

Posted: 07-11-2010, 9:29 PM
    502 Bad Gateway is typical if the HTTPS connection is going through a proxy ... does the service account you have configured have any proxies configured? if so, can you drop it from that profile and try the VSA backup again?
    Cheers,
    Luke
    (@cv_skywalker)
    Posted: 07-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Hmm, the CommVault services on the VSA proxy server are all running as 'LocalSystem' which shouldn't have a proxy configured. There is a proxy configured for 'normal' users on that server though, but this is done individually in each user profile.

I have a ticket logged now so will track through with CV support and update here once we discover / resolve the issue.

Posted: 07-11-2010, 11:18 PM
    Sorry, was thinking more for the service account you have configured in the VSA Instance properties.
    Cheers,
    Luke
    (@cv_skywalker)
    Posted: 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM

Well, we configured a 'root' local user on the vCenter server for the VSA to authenticate to vCenter  as per the workaround for the 'can't read vmx files via VADP backup' issue. This local user has never been logged in on the server as far as I know - will try that and see what it's proxy settings have defaulted to.

Posted: 07-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Having the same issue, cannot see VM's via vCenter or individual hosts. I've had a ticket open since last week, hopefully an answer soon.

Posted: 07-12-2010, 8:25 PM
    Jon Waite:

Hmm, the CommVault services on the VSA proxy server are all running as 'LocalSystem' which shouldn't have a proxy configured. There is a proxy configured for 'normal' users on that server though, but this is done individually in each user profile.

I have a ticket logged now so will track through with CV support and update here once we discover / resolve the issue.

Quick note - also noted in your logs that vStorage API, you have the path set but it's failing to load the VDDK properly - try removing the quotes from in the registry key (").
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMDiskInfo::_GetVDDKInstallPath() - Using vStorage VDDK from ["C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\"]
    468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMDiskInfo::_DynLoadDiskLib() - Can't load vixDiskLib shared library DLL 7e

Cheers,
    Luke
    (@cv_skywalker)
    Posted: 07-12-2010, 8:44 PM

Looks like that setting was definitely wrong, removing the quotes now gives:

2504 a14 07/13 12:42:34 ### CVMDiskInfo::_GetVDDKInstallPath() - Using vStorage VDDK from [C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\]
    2504 f80 07/13 12:42:35 ### CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - VixDiskLib thread running
    2504 f80 07/13 12:42:35 ### CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Calling VixDiskLib_Init for thread a14
    2504 f80 07/13 12:42:37 ### CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Completed VixDiskLib_Init for thread a14
    2504 a14 07/13 12:42:37 ### CVMDiskInfo::Init() - Avaiable Transport modes: file:san:hotadd:nbdssl:nbd

Which looks much more promising, but I still get the same failure attempting to retrieve a list of VMs to backup.

Had a call back on my support ticket yesterday, but managed to be tied up in meetings and haven't had a chance to ring back yet.

Posted: 07-12-2010, 8:48 PM
    Also I just realised I didn't re-read your logs :)

Can you try using a hostname instead of a IP Address for the Virtual Center hostname? If you need to, you could set a hosts file entry for this.

468 368 07/11 12:01:02 ### CVMWareInfo::Connect() - Connecting to Url=[https://10.150.10.1/sdk] User=[root]

Cheers,
    Luke
    (@cv_skywalker)
    Posted: 07-12-2010, 9:07 PM

Jonathan from CommVault support has just fixed this for me - you were on the right lines, it doesn't work with FQDN or IP address, but works fine on a short host name.

So in our case, specifying 10.150.10.1 or cccvc01.cccmgmt.local (the FQDN of the server) didn't work, but changing it to just 'cccvc01' works fine!

Posted: 07-12-2010, 9:10 PM
    Jon Waite:

Jonathan from CommVault support has just fixed this for me - you were on the right lines, it doesn't work with FQDN or IP address, but works fine on a short host name.

So in our case, specifying 10.150.10.1 or cccvc01.cccmgmt.local (the FQDN of the server) didn't work, but changing it to just 'cccvc01' works fine!

Good to hear .. from what I can see it has to do with name-based virtual hosting enabled on the virtual center's web port, so using short or long name works, using IP address has never worked for me :(
    Cheers,
    Luke
    (@cv_skywalker)
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy