Recovering from failed OML?

Last post 07-13-2010, 5:30 AM by Dannie. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Recovering from failed OML?
    Posted: 07-08-2010, 6:47 PM

I have a tape which has some backups on it from different clients.

I'd like to copy these jobs to an aux copy. Everything starts out well, but at some point during the aux copy, Commvault tells me the OML is corrupt.

According to the KB, I can throw away the tape after that. There's no apperant way to recover from this.

On Networker, there was a tool called "scanner", which reads the tape front to back and reports any savesets on it.

Is there a similair tool for Commvault?

If it jams, force it.
    If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
  • Re: Recovering from failed OML?
    Posted: 07-08-2010, 7:17 PM

There is a tool that can read the contents of a tape, however this is a last resort and really what you need to determine is why you are getting an OML error. There may not be a problem with the OML, it could be the drive or the lib not reading something correctly. I would suggest that you open a TR with support so they can look into the tape itself and see what is going on. This way we can verify what the error is being caused by and perhaps fix it, if not we can cover the options available based on the problem.

Posted: 07-08-2010, 7:19 PM
    Dannie you can attempt to read through the tape using Media Explorer. This utility is a resource pack tool available on Maintenance Advantage. More information on the tool is available here - http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/dr_tool/dr_tool.htm
    Posted: 07-08-2010, 7:43 PM

Whereas you can use MediaExplorer to read\catalogue a tape (or mag lib) this tool will not work if the OML is actually corrupted\damaged\incorrect whatever as it has to read the OML as well. This is why i suggest having a tech look into thsi so we can see what teh OML problem is and what we may be able to do about it and why i did not specify the tool itslef as it may not be useful for you depending on the actual OML issue.

Posted: 07-13-2010, 5:30 AM

Well, I know what got that tape corrupt; little bit of a library issue. Not sure how much of the actual data is lost though.

That why I was wondering if there are any tools for this.

Any chance of this (or any other) powertools becoming available for the public anytime soon? (not just for this specific tape, but in general)

If it jams, force it.
    If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy