Virtual Server iDA Question

Last post 07-13-2010, 9:13 AM by DauphinCounty. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Virtual Server iDA Question
    Posted: 07-13-2010, 8:10 AM

We are thinking about using the Virtual Server iDA in our vSphere environment. Right now, each VM is treated as a physical machine with an agent(s) installed. Is this agent for file system backup only? Right now, I have agents for SQL Server, Sharepoint, Active Directory and Exchange. Would I need to continue to treat those servers as physical machines with the appropriate agent installed and not back them up with the Virtual Server iDA?

• Re: Virtual Server iDA Question
    Posted: 07-13-2010, 8:58 AM

For critical applications I would still recommend using the appropriate agent for granular recovery.  Sure, the VSA will be able to protect the entire machine, but what if you want to restore just a mailbox or message within exchange?  Continuing to utilize the granular agent, and using VSA to protect the machine as a whole (disk level) provides a plethora of recovery options.  Furthermore leaving the FS agent on the machine will allow you to granularly recover the individual files and folders directly to the machine, if the need may arise.

• Re: Virtual Server iDA Question
    Posted: 07-13-2010, 9:13 AM

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if the VSA could co-exist with the other agents.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy