Can Simpana 8 read tapes created by symantec backup exec?

Last post 07-20-2010, 4:46 PM by mnahas. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Can Simpana 8 read tapes created by symantec backup exec?
    Posted: 07-13-2010, 2:43 PM

Hi all,

We will be switching to Simpana 8 at the end of this month and I was wondering if commvault can read tapes made by symantec backup exec? I need to keep archive tapes and I need a way to read them, if simpana can't read them does anyone have a suggestion on how I can keep these tapes usable without having to keep backup exec around for years?

thanks

-k

• Re: Can Simpana 8 read tapes created by symantec backup exec?
    Posted: 07-13-2010, 2:49 PM

Hello Ken,

No i do not believe that there is anyway Commvault can read tapes from backup exec and vice versa.

Is there any way to restore the data to some alternate server and than backup that up with commvault using a separate storage policy? Otherwise you might have to keep a stand alone server with backup exec until your tapes retention expires.

Thanks

Ren

Posted: 07-13-2010, 2:55 PM

Ugghhh. That is what I was trying to avoid. I actually need the hardware that symantec is using for the commvault install. I'm not worried about the recent backup to tapes, I can get those into commvault, but the tapes from over a year ago I don't want to restore and re-backup....I'm not even sure I have the space to do that. Looks like I will need to spend some time migrating symantec to an old box and keep it around until the commvault backups catch up in a year or so....bummer.

thanks

-k

Posted: 07-20-2010, 4:46 PM

Yes, Ken I feel the pain too.

I have to keep backup exec server around for several years until our data retention is reached.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy