New forum

Last post 02-09-2012, 3:56 PM by Michael Fox. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • New forum
    Posted: 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM

I think it would be nice to have a new forum which would contained good technical posts contained in other forums.

For example, we're currently having an interesting discussion in this thread:

http://forum.commvault.com/forums/thread/16825.aspx

Eventually, we'll stop writting in it and the thread will get lost. I think this one (and some others) have very good technical info that other users might find very useful. If we could have a forum where Commvault could copy just a few of those threads, it'd be a great source of information.

I'm not talking here about copying all threads where Joe had this issue and it got fixed doing step 1-2-3. I'm thinking more about those few in-depth threads that have been written in the past. I'm pretty sure you guys follow most of the threads closely and would have a good idea which ones are good to copy.

I think you could maybe filter out (or not?) some of the posts in those threads to keep the main subject clearer. This could also become readonly once in that forum so that only Commvault can copy/create posts in it.

Just a thought!
    Phil

• Re: New forum
    Posted: 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM

I think the idea of the star rating would then allow filtering/searching against started posts, this way you dont have to view just the newest.  I suppose that would keep the "awareness" of these posts high. 

Posted: 02-08-2012, 10:58 AM

Yeah this is a good improvement but it relies on users to rate the threads. Also, even though someone could set a thread to 5 stars because he got an answer to his issue doesn't mean it should go to the other forum I'm proposing.

Like I said, I was mostly thinking that the forum would host threads which could act as some kind of unofficial white papers rather than every threads that fixed an issue and/or gave simple steps for a simple task.

Posted: 02-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Hi Phillippe,

Are you looking for a way to track posts YOU found useful or a way to flag that post as useful for EVERYONE?

We could probably use the same mechanism leveraged for displaying a post as resolved... what status would these post take on?

Posted: 02-08-2012, 2:27 PM

Neither! Ideally, I think this process should be done by Commvault, not the users. One of the "complaints" that people sometimes seem to have is the lack of documentation on how to setup hardware, do proper benchmarks, lack of info for a very specific feature, etc.

When there's a very in-depth thread about a specific topic that a lot of people could benefit from reading (especially if it's not something you go in-depth in your BOL), I think it would be good to flag that topic (think of sticky posts that you sometimes see on other forums).

The issue I'd see with the current ways of flagging a thread (mark it as resolved and the star system) is that it is usually very specific to a problem which can often be found in the documentation and/or is the appreciation of a single (or more) users over a specific topic which might not actually be that useful to the majority.

I think those ways of flagging threads are fine and we can search for those in the regular forums. I just thought it'd be nice that when Commvault sees a useful technical thread that could be benefical for most users to read, they could move it to the new forum. That way, tomorrow, new forum user John logs in for the first time, he has a forum with just a few topics that could help him understand very deep Simpana concepts.

If John needs an answer to a technical issue, he can just do as we do now, search the forum and/or ask the question but at least he'd have a centralized forum for in-depth concepts that are all centralized in the same place. Of course, the idea would not to throw just every other resolved thread in there.

Hopefully you get a better understanding of my idea now Smile

Phil

Posted: 02-09-2012, 4:51 AM

PhilippeMorin:

Neither! Ideally, I think this process should be done by Commvault, not the users............

--- CUT ---

Hopefully you get a better understanding of my idea now Smile

Phil

Sorry I cut the quote, as it would of made the post huge.

I think the information shouldn't get populated into a forum, it needs to be driven into Knowlede Base articles. As this will be easier to search for and can probably be managed better down the track.

Posted: 02-09-2012, 9:57 AM

Obviously, sending it into KBs and/or white papers in the BOL would be even better but that also means a lot more polishing work for Commvault and this would also because the official Commvault's point of view while if it stays in the forums, people expect it to be less official so it doesn't commit you as much.

Posted: 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM

PhilippeMorin:

Obviously, sending it into KBs and/or white papers in the BOL would be even better but that also means a lot more polishing work for Commvault and this would also because the official Commvault's point of view while if it stays in the forums, people expect it to be less official so it doesn't commit you as much.

Posted: 02-09-2012, 3:56 PM

PhilippeMorin:

I'll agree to those statements too. KB's etc are great, but yes lead time for them is certainly longer than that of something unofficial on a forum.

Each method has it's own problems no matter which way we dice it up. No matter how the information is presented (either in it's original form or in a forum where all the good stuff goes, it will ALWAYS remain unoffical. Soon as we put processes around it, it might as well go through the process to hit the KB system and be a single source of truth.

Guess we have to find a middle ground.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy