Commserv with PAE

Last post 07-14-2010, 3:22 PM by Dannie. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Commserv with PAE
    Posted: 07-14-2010, 2:20 PM

We have a Commserv running 32bit Win2003.

The Commserv machine has 8GB of RAM, which obviously cannot be used completely.

I'd like to boot the machine with /PAE to be able to use the entire 8GB (4GB per process ofcourse, I know about the limitations and everything).

Is anyone running a Commserv with PAE enabled? Is this configuration supported?

If it jams, force it.
    If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
  • Re: Commserv with PAE
    Posted: 07-14-2010, 2:32 PM

Hello Dannie,  The /PAE switch is supported.  We have other customers running with this.

Mark Spencer
    CommVault, Business Critical Support
    Posted: 07-14-2010, 2:43 PM

Also for everyone's interest, MS kb on this feature  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988 .   From past incidents we have seen you want to be careful about having both /3GB and /PAE enabled at the same time. 

I should also point out that Microsoft has reported an issue with corrupted data when PAE is enabled on a Win2k3 based system when SQL Server is in use which they have a hotfix for.  Please review all before implementing. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834628

Mark Spencer
    CommVault, Business Critical Support
    Posted: 07-14-2010, 3:22 PM

Thanks for the confirmation.

I already spoke with my DBA and he knew there was something about MSSQL & PAE, which is why we haven't tried to enable the switch already.

Thanks for finding that KB article :)

If it jams, force it.
    If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy