Cannot get stub information

Last post 07-22-2010, 7:00 AM by Patrick Dalton. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Cannot get stub information
    Posted: 07-15-2010, 2:30 AM

Hi All,

I seem to be having an issue with one of our Exchange Mailbox Archiver users.

They have an 2x email which have been archived but they cannot be recalled. Both items do not have an archived icon next to them, although both have definately been archived as they have stubs attached.

When looking closer at the email they have a "IPM.Note" message class compared to the stubs which have a "IPM.Note.Commvault.Galaxy.Stub".

We managed to change the message class of these 2 messages to "IPM.Note.Commvault.Galaxy.Stub" but when we try to open them it acts as though the Commvault Archiver Plugin to recall items is not installed.

Opening the messages over OWA we get the following error message:

"Operation could not complete successfully. (If you are not sure about the detailed information, please contact your administrator)

Error Details
    Cannot get stub information. (Job:0,Err:0xa0040137)[Err=0xA0040137, Cannot get stub information. (Job:0,Err:0xa0040137)]"

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

JZ

• Cannot get stub information
    Posted: 07-15-2010, 8:47 AM
    You stated that you changed the message class to "IPM.Note.Commvault.Galaxy.Stub".
    How did you change this?
    What was the behavior of the message before you chnaged this?
    If someone else logs on to this machine are they able to recall messages?
    What behavior do you see when logging in to OWA and attempting a recall?

Commvault changes the message class during the stub phase of the job. Is it possible that this user is working offline?

Patrick
    CommVault Messaging Support
  • Re: Cannot get stub information
    Posted: 07-15-2010, 3:00 PM

JimmyZ,

Do these 'migrated' messages appear in the GUI through browse and recover?

Posted: 07-15-2010, 6:07 PM

Thanks guys for following up.

I changed the message class by following this KB from Mircosoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/201087)

Prior to the change it would open the message, but not recognize it as being archived (although you could clearly see it was as it has the stub attached).

Yes, if someone else logs into the machine messages can be recalled. This user can even recall the majority of their messgaes except 2.

Opening the message in OWA we get the following message:

"Cannot get stub information. (Job:0,Err:0xa0040137)[Err=0xA0040137, Cannot get stub information. (Job:0,Err:0xa0040137)]""

The user is not working in offline mode.

These messages were archived 2 years ago. We are waiting on a tape recall to try and recover these items from the GUI.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

JZ

Posted: 07-15-2010, 10:39 PM
    Being that the stub has been manually modified I think it would be best to get the tapes and restore the messages. It would be really hard to say why this happened but first thoughts would be something on the outlook client side such as AV software that could have modified the stub file. Since the user can recall other messages that rules out everything but the stub file. Without seeing the original stub I am not sure what I can offer.
    Posted: 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM

OK, I thought that was what might come back. Thanks for your help Pat.

For interests sake. Each object that gets archived has its own objectID (...yeah?)

How does Commvault find where it put it? Is there a table in the database that it queries?

So if I was to find the object ID and run a query against the database will it give me the location of where the item has been archived to?

Posted: 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM
    Each stub file contains information about the source message such as archive time, original folder, so on. When a stub is opened we query the commserve database for the chunk and job id that archived it.

To find out what job id archived that specific message we would need to look at the stub properties and find the archive time. I can post how to do this tomorrow as I am mobile right now.
    Posted: 07-16-2010, 2:39 AM

Thanks Pat - I appreciate your time.

[edit] spelling fail.

Posted: 07-16-2010, 9:37 AM

Please see attached doc to accomplish this.

Patrick

Posted: 07-19-2010, 1:05 PM

Were you able to get the information you needed?  If so can we mark this thread as resolved?

Posted: 07-19-2010, 5:48 PM

Hi Pat,

The 2x emails in question do not have any stub information attached.

Cheers,

JZ

Posted: 07-19-2010, 10:54 PM
    If you are unable to get the stub information you will have to do one of two things to get the data recovered.

1. Browse the archived data based on message rules and archive history. View you archived history for the subclient that the user was a member of at the time of archive. You should be able to browse multiple jobs at once depending index creation date for jobs.

Right click on the IDA and go to all tasks browse default archive set. Specify the timeframe the messages were archived. Once you find the messages in the archive history you will be able to recover them back in to the mailbox.

2. Use the find option in the GUI to locate the original message in the CommVault history. The easiest way to do this would be to browse one of your archive jobs. Once the mailbox list appears find the source mailbox, right click and hit find. You can specify criteria in the To: From: and Subject. Keep in mind that this is not a compliance find so you will find some limitations. It would be best to simply use the wildcard * for the subject and extend the search from and to field to cover the timeframe you feel these messages were archived. Once the message is found you will be able to restore this as usual.

As far as the stub original issue I don't think I will be able to tell you why or what happened. I haven't seen anything like this since I have been working with the product. If this is a one time occurrence and you are ok with it I would just restore the messages from the history.

Let me know if you need help finding the messages as we can open a TR and I would be happy to work with you on this issue.
    Posted: 07-21-2010, 11:36 PM

Hi Pat,

Thanks again for a quality reply.

I never knew that there was a find option. Turns out they were located on a different mailbox server back then. We managed to find the email and recover it for the user.

I have learnt several things from this thread.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

JZ

Posted: 07-22-2010, 7:00 AM
    Glad you were able to get the messages you were looking for. If you are good to go please mark this thread as resolved.

Nice working with you

Patrick
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy