Global Filter - Windows File Archiver

Last post 07-23-2010, 1:42 PM by Trekrod1. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Global Filter - Windows File Archiver
    Posted: 07-15-2010, 10:41 PM

I added items I want excluded from being archived under the Global Filters for Windows File Archiver.  However, when I go to the propeties of the subclient, I don't see the exclusions I added, only the list someone has added under the properties of the subclient show up.

How do I know the global filters are being applied?

Thanks,

Kathy

• Global Filter - Windows File Archiver
    Posted: 07-15-2010, 11:00 PM
    On the subclient properties under the filters tab you should see an option to include global filters.

This must be enabled to include them.
    CommVault Messaging Support
  • Re: Global Filter - Windows File Archiver
    Posted: 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM

Yes, you would see that option on the properties for a File System subclient.  But I don't see that for a File Archiver subclient.  There is a File Paths tab under Rules where you can enter 'Exclude File Paths'.  This is where I thought I could see the list from global filters I had set up.  But the only items in there are exclusions that were manually entered per subclient.

Kathy

Posted: 07-16-2010, 10:13 AM

in Control Panel --> Global Filters, what is the setting for "Use Global Filters on All SubClients" ?

in subclient properties for File Archiver, Filters tab, you have three options for the 'Include Global Filters'

1) Use Cell Level Policy will check the setting in Control Panel --> Global Filters and apply global filters accordingly

2) ON will always apply global filters

3) OFF will never apply global filters.

if You have global filters configured in Control Panel --> Global Filters, and you enable global filters in subclient properties then you should see the global filters displayed in greyed out text, as compared to local subclient filters which are in black text.

Let me know if this helps!

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 07-16-2010, 8:00 PM

I see what the problem is now.  I have 2 file servers that has File Archiver Agents.

The first server that I was asking about, has 2 Sets under 'Local Migration Instance':

DataClassSet - There is no Filters tab in the properties.

DefaultArchiveSet - The subclients have the Filters tab and I can make the changes to use the global filters.

Now this presents another question...

There are several active subclients under DataClassSet, with a history going back to the initial migration until now.

There are identical subclients under the DefaultArchiveSet, that have a couple jobs at the initial migration, but are not active.

So, is there a difference between having the subclients created under the DataClassSet vs the DefaultArchiveSet that impacts the outcome of our Archived files?

Thanks,

Kathy

Posted: 07-19-2010, 9:57 AM

DataClassSet leverages the DCE database as opposed to typical ifind based rules (mod time, access time, size, and path).  The dataclassification set allows greater functionality, through the additional data that is captured in the DCE database, such as file owner, attribute type, wildcard support and custom query functionality, to further target archiving to greater specifications. 

Posted: 07-22-2010, 8:29 PM

OK, I see the difference within the properties between the different subclients.

So, in the dataclassset property, I don't have the option to apply global filters or create my own filters.  What I do have is the tab File Path and I can create exclusions.  The drive we are archiving contains user's home folders.    For example, my folder path would be E:\home\kathy\

I want to exclude Outlook's .pst files from being archived.  So to exclude for all users I need to enter  E:\home\*\*.pst  

Thanks,

Kathy

Posted: 07-23-2010, 1:42 PM

Hi Kathy,

Please review the link and this excerpt.

The use of regular expressions in defining content is limited to the last level in the data path. For example: F:\Users\[A-L]* is an acceptable use of regular expressions in defining content, whereas *.pst is not an acceptable use.

Content, Filters, and Regular Expressions

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/filters/content_filters_regular_expressions.htm

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy