CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

How do i create more than one snaps a day - but only push one to disk/tape.

Last post 03-26-2012, 11:15 PM by PhilippeMorin. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • How do i create more than one snaps a day - but only push one to disk/tape.
    Posted: 03-26-2012, 1:35 PM

we currently create netapp snapshots every five hours and keep them for three days.  Is there a way to schedule this in commvault - or do we need to continue to keep snapshots on netapp.  I currently have commvault snaps running with spool copy - no retention. Thanks alot. 

• Re: How do i create more than one snaps a day - but only push one to disk/tape.
    Posted: 03-26-2012, 2:36 PM

You could change the spool copy to the retention you want (3 days in your case). Then, you could keep your default backupset setup the way you have it now so that it doesn't interfere with your real backup cycles but add a 2nd backupset which would do full backups using snapprotect (maybe without cataloging so it is super quick) every 5 hours.

This way, you'd have a full snap that you can revert to every 5 hours and keep your full/incremental schedules for your normal backup procedures.

In case you don't want to keep your nightly real backup's snap for 3 days, you would probably have to a dedicated storage policy with it's own Snap copy with a 3 days retention.

Phil

• Re: How do i create more than one snaps a day - but only push one to disk/tape.
    Posted: 03-26-2012, 2:42 PM

d3h614 - You can select this by using the selection rule for snap protect on the storage policy properties. you can click on Choose the backup selection rule.

This rule setting can be change to backup the last full snap, the first full or andy of the fulls in the drop down box. The key here is they need to be fulls not incrementals.

Client Team Supervisor - Focus on Virtualization
    Follow me on Twitter - @wfarinella
    Posted: 03-26-2012, 5:50 PM

This is why i LOVE this forum - because of guys like you Phillipe who think out of the box :) I appreciate your help.  I just created a different defaultbackupset will associate the subclients with a different storage policy and keep three days worth of snaps there .. and not backup any of that to disk.  I guess the only problem with this would be that since I'm using datastore affinity, i would need to make sure that my normal nightly snap is not running at the same time as the every five hour snap. 

I wouldn't be able to use  what willie suggested as we need to write incs and full to disk nightly.

Posted: 03-26-2012, 11:15 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about both snaps happening at the same time. I'd still try to time your nightly backup to occur between your 5 hours backups but worst case, even if both jobs were to start at the same time, they probably wouldn't do their hardware snap at the same time since both jobs would have to wait until VMWare does all of its snaps and the chance of both jobs finishing that step at the same time are pretty slim.

Even if both snaps were to happen at the exact same time, I'm guessing that the SAN would be able to queue the 2nd command without failing the job.

Glad I could help! Laughing

Phil

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy