Additional "backup" job for VM subclients

Last post 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM by bartd. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Additional "backup" job for VM subclients
    Posted: 04-18-2012, 1:15 PM

The company wants to be able to discover all VMs first and then select which ones to not backup. This can only be done once the first backup has run and the discover portion of the job has completed (they can kill it and see that information). However, they would prefer to be able to issue a "discover" job instead of a full, incremental, etc. under the backup request that would simply do that without any intent to snap or backup any systems.

• Re: Additional "backup" job for VM subclients
    Posted: 04-19-2012, 9:00 AM

Assuming this is VMware...

If you create a new subclient > content tab > click configure > and then hit discover it should discover all VMs in the ESX server or Vcenter.  From there you can mark VMs to "do not backup"  There is not a need to run a job to force discovery.

Step 7 in the instructions below:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/products/vs_vmware/config_basic.htm

Posted: 04-19-2012, 9:03 AM

It is; although I am hearing from our CV professional services guy that it doesn't work that way when using the autodiscover based off of affinity attribute. Is that not the case? Would you just run the configure->discover and exclude from there as well?

Posted: 04-19-2012, 9:09 AM

Affinity rules shouldnt make a difference.  If you use the guest configuration tab on the backupset level or set the VMs to "do not backup" within a already configured subclient the affinity rules will not override those configurations. 

The affinity rules are for discovery so if a VM is already set to to "do not backup" they are technically assigned to the "do not backup" subclient. 

Posted: 04-19-2012, 9:13 AM

Thanks a ton then! Only reason I submitted the "idea" was because the professional services guy said otherwise; my apologies!

Posted: 04-19-2012, 9:15 AM

I would certainly test it out, as maybe the PS guy is aware of some caveat i am not!  In any case glad I could help.

Posted: 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Last month I implemented Commvault 9 and I did not have to run a backup first before excluding some servers from the backup.

So I don't think you have to worry about that.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy