Combining Streams for an Aux(DASH) copy

Last post 04-01-2014, 6:23 PM by isle. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Combining Streams for an Aux(DASH) copy
    Posted: 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM

I have learned that when I throttle my AUX copy over the WAN each backup is its own stream with it own seperate throttle.  This means that I am using more of the line then I intended.  If I combine streams to one are there any considerations for recovery that I need to be aware of or will the backups still look and act the same on the destination side?

• Re: Combining Streams for an Aux(DASH) copy
    Posted: 05-01-2012, 2:18 PM

When you set throttling, it will use only the specified bandwidth no matter how many streams you have. I've got my aux copy set to 20 streams and when sending data to our offsite disk array, our network guys confirmed that the limit was respected.

If it's not the case for you, you might want to review your settings and/or open a ticket.

Where did you set your throttling rule? Are you copying from a single MA to a single MA? What service pack are you on?

Phil

Posted: 05-01-2012, 5:22 PM

I have set the throttle number in the DASH copy properties.  What I am noticing is that I am set to 700MB per hour and when I look at Netflow it shows me moving over double that in the past hour.  I am thinking it is per stream because where I set the throttle the exact verbiage is "Throttle Network Bandwidth per Stream".  Looking into the job details on the Aux copy the streams tab shows multiple jobs streaming at once.  This is why I feel I may need to combine streams to ensure I am not going over my throttle.

I am just concerned that this may have some other unknown detrimental impact.  I.E. Further taxing the target media agent, messing up some sort of recoverability, or jsut simply slowing my copies done too much.

Any thoughts on this?

Posted: 05-01-2012, 5:36 PM
    Oh ok I see what you mean now!

What would probably work better for you is to configure the global throttling instead of the stream one.

To do so, open the properties of one of the 2 media agents and use the networl throttle tab (not at work so can't check the exact wording). In there, you can throttle send/receive at the speed you want and it can vary depending on the day and time. This will affect the communication speed between the 2 MAs as a whole and won't be specific to a stream/job.

Phil
    Posted: 04-01-2014, 6:23 PM
    • isle is not online. Last active: 06-04-2019, 3:28 PM isle
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-21-2012
    • NJ
    • Adept
    • Points 308

You could also set it to use 1 reader which would force it to 1 stream at a time. As one completes the next would use the available bandwidth you designated.

When you run the aux copy -> "Number of Readers" change this to "Number of Streams" set from Maximum to 1

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy