CVD.exe stealing RDP port

Last post 07-21-2010, 11:37 PM by ipman. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CVD.exe stealing RDP port
    Posted: 07-21-2010, 7:10 PM

So I was troubleshooting an rdp issue on one of my email servers today and uncovered that the cvd.exe process was listening on port 3389.

Anyone ever run into this issue?

What is the cvd.exe anyways I'm looking at other servers and I don't see it on every server?

• Re: CVD.exe stealing RDP port
    Posted: 07-21-2010, 7:41 PM

Hello ipman,

Sorry to hear about the port hijack! It is odd that cvd would bind to that port...I don't see this condition occur very often and never on a registered port such as 3389.

You should see CVD.exe on any server that has the commvault agent installed. Below is the definition of CVD as well as a link to all the CommVault services and their purpose

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/services/services.htm

CommVault Communications Service CVD Provides the ability to fetch or save metadata on the CommServe when data protection or data recovery operations are in progress.

Is there any intrusion detection software on this machine that may interfere with processes trying to bind to ports?

• Re: CVD.exe stealing RDP port
    Posted: 07-21-2010, 11:37 PM

Nothing any other server in our enviorment wouldn't have.

By stopping the cv services and restart ts services I was able to recover the port.

Then started cv backup and all was fine.

Possibly happened after a reboot as it looks like it happened on the 17 according to the event viewer.

Hopefully its a one time thing.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy