SP and version control with automatic updates

Last post 07-03-2012, 9:37 PM by fdxpilot. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SP and version control with automatic updates
    Posted: 07-03-2012, 3:21 PM

I work for a fortune 100 company in a large environment. The only practical way to maintain versions and patching is to enable the CommServe to automatically download new patches. However, maintaining version control is next to impossible.

My install cache is from the January 2012, which is sp 3a. The commserve is at 4b. When you enable auto download of new patches, and hotfixes, it automatically downloads new service packs when  they become available. While it is necessary to keep downloading the latest fixes for service packs in use, it causes problems when it downloads service packs beyond the environment and places them in the install cache that is used to install updates. For example, when I install a new client from the install cache to sp 3a, and then turn around and run install updates, it will load SP 6a on the client. Now my environment is out of sync. And I now have a version of software in my environment without an approved change control for it.

For change control purposes, and service consistency of the application, we need a setting in the control panel, or in the groups...somewhere which will allow us to choose what Service pack we are on for the entire envisonment or for Commserve, Media Agents, CI, various applications like archiving and complaince, indiviual servers, etc.

This is a MAJOR SECURITY breach and a hindrance in our annual audits. In order to recieve certain IT certifications for compliance, a company needs to demonstrate control over change control.

• Re: SP and version control with automatic updates
    Posted: 07-03-2012, 9:37 PM

Doug,

First let me say that I fully agree with you -- there should be a better way to control versioning, especially since the CS and media agents need to be updated before clients are updated.  Have you filed a customer modification request to enhance this function?  If so, let me know and I will have our support account manager tag our account to the CMR as we would also like the same feature.

Secondly, have you considered disabling automatic updates via the GUI and manually downloading the service packs you wish to install instead?  CommVault will email you when new service packs are released.  Once they have been downloaded from the maintenance advantage site, you can use the CopyToCache utility to update software caches, update your CommVault infrastructure, and then push the updates to your clients as desired.  You can also do this via the GUI using the Copy Software menu option.  Hope this helps!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy