SAP for Oracle - error ORA-24909: call in progress. Current operation canceled

Last post 12-07-2012, 4:12 PM by efg. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SAP for Oracle - error ORA-24909: call in progress. Current operation canceled
    Posted: 11-16-2012, 6:57 AM

Hi all,
    I'll try to be as clear as the first post on the forum ...
    SAP on windows gives me a backup problems.

Environment: Commvault V9 SP7

Client : Windows 2008 R2 server with SAP installed
      SAP FileSystem idaAgent installed.
      SAP for Oracle idaAgent installed.

I use util file

I created an instance for the SAP dataagent in the CommServe server console.
    This SAP instance has three subclients:

1 - redologs
    2 - Full online
    3 - Full offline

When I start a backup from the console of one of subclients (by schedule or not) , I get an error.
    When the server SAP launches itself (with the same user as defined in the console) a SAP subclient backup, it is ok

Error received when the subclient backup "redologs"

BR0002I BRARCHIVE 7.00 (52)
    BR0006I Start of offline redo log processing: aejwnhqt.svd 2012-11-14 09.43.35
    BR0484I BRARCHIVE log file: G: \ ORACLE \ CMS \ saparch \ aejwnhqt.svd
    BR0280I BRARCHIVE time stamp: 2012-11-14 09.43.35
    SQL error -24909 at BR0301W rental BrDbConnect-2, SQL statement:
    'CONNECT /'
    ORA-24909: call in progress. Current operation canceled
    Connect to database instance BR0310W CMS failed

I attached two log files:

Result_RedologsSubclient_ScheduledByCommvault.txt contains the log backup of the subclient "redologs" scheduled by Commvault
    Result_RedologsSubclient_StartedByCmd.txt contains the log backup of the subclient "redologs" but here started by the command BRARCHIVE

Can i have your precious help ?

Thx

• Re: SAP for Oracle - error ORA-24909: call in progress. Current operation canceled
    Posted: 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 05-20-2019, 11:53 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,655

This appears to be something in the environment, but I have not seen this specific error before.   Have you opened a support ticket on this yet?   I would recommend opening a support ticket with both CommVault as well as SAP, as it does not seem clear where the problem is occurring.  The error appears to happen before any CV code is actually getting called, but there could be differences between the environment from a user invoked backup vs the environment from the shell when invoked through the CommVault iDA.  Once a ticket with CV support is opened it can be escalated to the developers to see if there may be something specific in the environment (when invoked through the services) vs the enviroment from the command line shell.  When opening the ticket with CV support you may want to upload the content of the "sapbackup" directory as well as the "standard" CV logs.  This should provide the support folks with enough information to move forward with this issue.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
  • Re: SAP for Oracle - error ORA-24909: call in progress. Current operation canceled
    Posted: 11-23-2012, 9:33 AM

I agree fully with the above. This is something in the enviroment causing Commvault not to be able to logon.

There are several hits on Google on this particular ORA error. It seems there was / is a bug when using Oracle 10.1.0.2 combined with 9.2 client tools.

This may mean the SAP_EXE is set wrong in your iDA configuration.

Also interesting is a patch Microsoft brought out in KB923028 for their .NET framework. See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/clr/thread/e2b6e4b7-a275-41b0-99c0-737092e090b6/, especially the last reply, which mentions ORA-24909 as one of the symptoms.

Posted: 12-07-2012, 6:59 AM

Hi Mr Graeler and Dannie3,

With a little delay I want to thank you for your support.

By analyzing the problem depending on the direction that you have indicated, I found that the "Sap data path" defined in the SAP instance there was a "\" at the end.

En removing it ... the backup was successful ...

I then sought to compare with other SAP instances installed in our environment as having a "\" at the end of "sap data path" and having a successful backup.
    The only difference I have found is that the version of BRTOOLS were different.

So, if this post can serve ...

Once again , thanks for your support and good day.

Posted: 12-07-2012, 4:12 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 05-20-2019, 11:53 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,655

Thanks for the feedback!   I have seen similar issues with the "regular" Oracle iDA with regards to the "ORACLE_HOME" path as well.   If defined with a "/" on the end of the path, there better be one in the enviromnent variable as well, or the connection to the database, and consequently the backup, will fail.

Seems like a similar issue occurs with SAP as well.

Need to add this to my notes!

:)

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy