SQL Server 2008 R2 CommVault backups with Transaction Log Shipping

Last post 01-15-2013, 4:18 PM by tcottrell. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SQL Server 2008 R2 CommVault backups with Transaction Log Shipping
    Posted: 01-10-2013, 5:36 PM

We take weekend full backups, daily differential backups, and transaction log backups every 6 hours.  We are going to move to Transaction Log Shipping on some of our databases to replicate them to other datacenters around the world.  Is there any documenation or best practices on taking Full backups and differential backups in CommVault, but setting up Transaction Log Shipping in SQL?  When I backup the transaction log in log shipping, won't I break the backup chain on the FULL and Differential backups?  What is the best way to set this up?

• Re: SQL Server 2008 R2 CommVault backups with Transaction Log Shipping
    Posted: 01-14-2013, 3:45 PM

Everything you stated is correct.  Full and differential backups will not affect the log shipping but the transaction log backups would.  Best bet, as you stated is to keep the log backups on the SQL side, or configure CommVault to do the log backups and perform scheduled restores to simulate the log shipping.

Posted: 01-15-2013, 4:12 PM

Thank you for your response.  My problem with keeping the Transaction Log Shipping outside of CommVault is a restore/recovery process.  If my Full and Differential backups are being maintained inside of CommVault, but the Transaction Log backup is being maintained wihtin SQL Server, then won't CommVault complain that the backup chain has been broken?  Or in a recovery situation, how would I provide CommVault transaction Log backups taken from within SQL Server and combine them with my CommVault Full or Differential to recover to a point in time?  Thank you in advance.

Posted: 01-15-2013, 4:18 PM

The fulls will not check the log sequence so that is not a concern.  Differentials do a check for the FULL LSN as part of the query, but you can disable it with this option:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/products/sql/config_adv.htm#Configuring_Log_Backups_To_Run_Without_Full_Backups

Honestly I do not think the trans log backups outside of CV will cause conversions or errors on the differentials, but this can be configured if you do have any issues.

As far as restores are concerned, they can be accomplished by restoring the full and/or differential and selecting the 'norecovery' restore option.  Once the restore completes the database will be left in a 'restoring' state which will allow you to then move over to the SQL side and perform native restores of the Transaction log backups.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy