CDR and DASH Copy

Last post 01-23-2013, 5:35 AM by adm-gosh. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CDR and DASH Copy
    Posted: 01-19-2013, 9:18 AM

Hi All

Apologies in advance for what is mostly likely a simple answer.

What is the difference/benefits (if any) between using CDR and DASH copies? To my inexperienced eyes they seem to both perform the same action. Am I understanding it correctly or have I missed something crucial?

Currently we have multiple Aux/DASH copies sending data between our local 3 media agents and was wondering if we could benefit at all by introducing CDR into the mix.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

• Re: CDR and DASH Copy
    Posted: 01-21-2013, 9:53 PM

CDR is a real time copy while aux copies (DASH copies) are done on a schedule. Also, CDR will make an exact replica of your disk. This means that if for some reason you had a corruption in a file on your source copy, it would get replicated to the destination copy. Aux copies will copy to another independant copy (tape or another disk library) so if you have a corruption on your source file, the aux copy will most likely fail or at the very least, shouldn't replicate the corruption over.

I think about CDR more for a DR copy where you don't want to lose any data and keep a good RPO (like MS DFS-R if you're familiar with it) while aux copies are more suited to make secondary copies of your nightly backups.

Hope this helps.

Phil

• Re: CDR and DASH Copy
    Posted: 01-23-2013, 5:35 AM

Cheers Phil

Thinking something similiar but always helps to get another opinion.

Thanks

Adam

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy