Slow backup performance when using CDR

Last post 03-15-2013, 4:32 PM by Steves_Begin. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Slow backup performance when using CDR
    Posted: 03-10-2013, 10:23 PM

Hi,

I'm using CDR to replicate 4 drives from my main site to my DR site since 3-4 weeks. Last week, the performance of one of my drive was poor when copying many small file...the performance was normal when copying a big file....On weekend backup, I've got very slow time (0.01GB/Hour instead of 250 GB/Hour)....so I suspend the replication and all come to normal.

Is there something that I can do ?

• Re: Slow backup performance when using CDR
    Posted: 03-15-2013, 9:49 AM

You notice if the CPU/memory/ DISK I/O getting hit bad while both are running?

Posted: 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Since I'm running CDR for 4 drives on my file server, I'm getting error on some pair and the message is "Out of virtual memory"...and I've notice that the CPU and memory are highly use...the io on disk are normal.

The thing is that i've probably have an issue with memory on the file server...its's a windows 2008 x86 std with 4 gb...

I'ts probably the cause of the slow backup too...

I've configure 4 pair (one for every drive) with filter for the folders that I don't want to replicate. Should I've created one pair with the 4 drives includes in the same pair ? Is it less hard on the physical ressource ?

I'm new with CDR so all suggestion are welcome :)

Attachment: Replication.JPG
    Posted: 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM

when you get this error message can you see if paged and nonpaged consumption on the machine?

For 32bit machines  non paged memory pools are precentage (75%) of total memory capped at 2 GB.

Paged is the system commit limit maxed at 2GB. 

If you see either of these stressed this tells you those pools are exhausted and the machine is choking for memory within one of these pools.

Posted: 03-15-2013, 2:10 PM

When I launch the 2 pair that was failed, le CPU goes between 50% and 80 %....normaly, the cpu are 10-15 %.

I've just restarted the 2 pairs...I will try to check what are the values of the paged/nonpaged memory when the fail happend...I've attach a printscreen of the task manager when I start de 2 fail pair...

Attachment: CDR.JPG
    Posted: 03-15-2013, 3:48 PM

After maybe one hour, 2 pair failed again...the page/nonpaged memory still almost at the same value.

I have the feeling that is a problem of not enough memory/CPU...

Posted: 03-15-2013, 4:18 PM

You should see the out of memory errors in the windows event logs.  Can you find them and provide those details?

Posted: 03-15-2013, 4:32 PM

Log Name:      System
    Source:        cvmfsj
    Date:          2013-03-15 3:21:29 PM
    Event ID:      18
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    Failed to allocate memory.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="cvmfsj" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="40960">18</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-03-15T19:21:29.158Z" />
        <EventRecordID>179784</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Binary>000000000100280000000000120000A0AC0000009A0000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy