CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Using SAN transport mode when VSA is Virtual Machine

Last post 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM by bmr. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Using SAN transport mode when VSA is Virtual Machine
    Posted: 03-15-2013, 8:19 AM

Hi,

We are using VSA as VM on ESX proxy and HotAdd/NDB modes do work fine.

VMs are on the array and SnapProtect works fine too. Datastores are NFS volumes for OS VMDKs and iSCSI volumes of data VMDKs.

I was under impression that I cannot  use SAN transport mode in this scenario since LUNs need to be presented to VSA and doing it with VM is problematic ( but I guess it is possible).

Is SAN mode even supported for cases when VSA is VM?

And for cases when VSA is physical host, how does SAN mode works with NFS datastores?

Thank you!

• Re: Using SAN transport mode when VSA is Virtual Machine
    Posted: 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM

I use multiple virtual VSA servers to mount iSCSI datastores for backups.  I simply use the iSCSI initiator built in to Windows Server 2008 R2 to mount them and I assigned secondary NICs to the VMs to dedicate to iSCSI traffic since the VLAN for iSCSI is isolated and non-routable.  

This works very well, especially if you use a single VSA as the master to configure all your subclients then set each of the virtual VSAs as proxies.  I setup a single VSA per host and used DRS rules to keep it on the host as these are very processor intensive and you will want to balance the load across your hosts.  We cap four vCPUs on 5 VSA servers during our nightly backups . . . but we're pulling 500+ MB\s throughput as well.

We plan to have our entire backup environment virtualized on a seperate management cluster within a month or two.  Makes thing's so much more flexible.

Jake

Posted: 03-19-2013, 2:10 PM

Jake,

Thank you very  much for your input.

Below is the asnwer I got from Commvault:

"SAN transport is disabled in virtual machines. - http://kb.vmware.com/KB/1035096

NFS can make use of any transport method apart from SAN."

Posted: 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM

Hi Jake,

May I ask you a question about your setup?

It seems that you have a VSA on each ESX server in production?

Where  did you place your Media Agent? Do you have dedicated Backpu network?

Sorry for asking about details but it is intersting to see how scaling works in other setups.

The way we have set it up : 

- One dedicated ESX Mount proxy for 20 ESX Hosts.

- SnapProtect is used to mount NetApp snapshots to this ESX hosts

- Single VM containing VSA and MA used for HotAdd and NBD transport to push data to remote Disk Library (CIFS share)

This is a brand new environment and we are looking into  possible scenarios for scaling so your setup is interesing for us.

Regards

Sergei

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy