Restore Says files skipped but none shown

Last post 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM by Stephen Connington. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Restore Says files skipped but none shown
    Posted: 08-10-2010, 7:39 AM

Did a restore of a job and results say 3 files skipped. Viewing skipped items in the gui shows no data. Reviewing the job log (attached) also does not detail any skipped files.How do I find out what files got skipped.

b.t.w. the logs are way to busy and very difficult to find anything. You should have two logs written, system internals and user information.

Attachment: job163721.txt
  • Re: Restore Says files skipped but none shown
    Posted: 08-10-2010, 8:10 AM
    • mort is not online. Last active: 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM mort
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

I'd recomend using the gxtail utility in the Base installation folder.

In the tools menu there is an option called Log File Sequencer, where you can point it at a single logs folder or multiple logs folders and give it a job id and it will present a time ordered list of all logs relating to the specified job.

I find it invaluable for troubleshooting.

I don't agree about the logs being too busy, who's to say what's important and what's not?

I'd rather have too much information than too little or have to look in 2 seperate places for the information I need.

Posted: 08-10-2010, 8:26 AM

And I don't agree with your disagreement, so there!

"Network::getListSock bind succeeded" is not important to the normal user, but is important to the technical people.

A job that fails to start because of and sits at 5% with the message to review logs and you spend ages trying weed through the techno babble to find the cause is not useful to us mere mortal users.

We are not all as accomplished as you obviously are.

Posted: 08-10-2010, 8:28 AM
    • mort is not online. Last active: 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM mort
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

woah......fair enough!

I was merely trying offer some help and to point out a differing viewpoint but you obviously took it in a completely different way!

Looks to me like there's some parts missing from clIFRestore.log, was there more on page2?, as the last thing it shows is a call to cvarchive, which I'd normally expect to be immediately followed by another call to CCVArchive!

Posted: 08-10-2010, 9:15 AM

Start restore's stats are interesting.  the number of succeed is larger then total by 3 thus the skipped (assuming here) 

Total files [61082], Succeeded [61085], Skipped[3], Failed [0]

At first i thought it was some pre-existing folder structure, however you put it to the root of the drive and unconditional overwrite was checked.

1708 12dc 08/10 04:05:28 163721 CVRestoreFiles::setRestoreParameters() - destDir = [E:\]
    3508 10cc 08/10 04:05:29 163721 User selected option to Unconditionally overwrite files
    3508 10cc 08/10 04:05:29 163721 FsRestoreObjectsFactory::CheckRestoreOnlyIfExistsOption() - Unconditionally overwrite is ON

Posted: 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Hello syrob,

This being a job-based restore it's difficult for me to tell "what you're restoring". Is this a backup of the E:\ from another time? If so, Simpana probably skipped duplicate ACL information.

Posted: 08-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Full backup of server E: volume (taken over the weekend) was done monday to same volume name of a new server. Incremental of same E: volume was taken Monday night and immeditately restored to the new server.  The restore setup was different server, same path structure.

If no physical files were skipped, then that is ok, but reporting skips initiates research.

CV reporting does not appear to be all that accurate. I just applied a patch as a netware backup of pervasive files reported no files were missed in the backup where in fact it had failed on three files.

Posted: 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Job based restore is a bit different then file based with regard to robust reporting. Typically we can view the jobresults directory on the destination machine and contained within the restore.out file should be filenames along with their status (restored, skipped failed).

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy