Does Commvault Lock files when it performs a backup

Last post 07-04-2013, 5:44 PM by Ali. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Does Commvault Lock files when it performs a backup
    Posted: 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM

I just wanted to get some input on running a SQL DB or a windows file system agent. When Commvault runs a backup does it lock a file to perform a backup? I know you can use VSS but several of our severs dont have the space to create the VSS snapshot.

• Re: Does Commvault Lock files when it performs a backup
    Posted: 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thanks for the post.  CV does have a native VSS Provider, however Windows VSS is commonly used, without either of these, the iDA won't "lock" any open files. 

That being said, if you're using FS iDA to backup live SQL files, the backup will run, but files will fail to backup.  If you are using SQL iDA VSS may be needed for certain versions, as the SQL iDA is application aware. 

Posted: 06-27-2013, 11:21 AM

No space for VSS snapshots?  VSS only need 10% free space, and depending on the rate of change would determine the consumption of shadow cache.  Also you can move shadow cache to another volume so you ideally would want to "find" space to set it up and leverage VSS when possible.  Moving it to another volume also helps with any I/O contention since the redirect to the cache is on that other volume. 

If you are using file system for SQL DB backup, not that if the database is mounted the likelihood that even with a VSS snapshot protecting the DB is none.  If you scripted SQL to dump the DBs to local disk and then protect it with FS iDA that would work, since the files wouldnt be in use. 

Enabling VSS for SQL backup details are here:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/products/sql/config_adv.htm#Configuring_Backups_of_Locked_Databases_using_VSS

Posted: 07-04-2013, 5:44 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

I think i get what you mean now, like Vincenzo mentioned:

1.  Either you can use the FS iDA to do a dump of the SQL db to a folder, and then sweep it with the File System backup.

2.  Or just use the SQL iDA, its Application aware, and will give you point in time flexibility restore right into the SQL DB it self/cross-server restore.

I would say go with the SQL iDA if you've got the funds its quite robust.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy