Exchange 2007 Mailbox backups failing - index cache restore failed

Last post 07-04-2013, 6:56 PM by mrBign. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Exchange 2007 Mailbox backups failing - index cache restore failed
    Posted: 06-06-2013, 12:30 AM

We have subclients for our mailboxes matching on regex (e.g. [A-B]*, [C,D]*, [E-F]*, etc).  One of those ([S-T]*) is now failing.  The Daily Summary is showing this:

Failure Reason:

·  ERROR CODE [14:113]: Index cache restore failed. Cannot access index cache.

All other mailbox backups are working fine.  The job sits in Job Controller as "Pending" in phase "Index Restore" with delay reason as "Index Cache Restore Failed" while all others are running.

In the event viewer there are lots of errors for the commvault server - "Cannot get cache directory state (path [D:\CV_IndexCache\CV_Index\2\661\1370415632])."

• Re: Exchange 2007 Mailbox backups failing - index cache restore failed
    Posted: 06-06-2013, 1:17 PM

Hello,

You will first want to check permissions and free space on the drive where the index cache is stored.  You can check the MediaAgent properties in the GUI to find out where the index cache is.  If that is fine, the next thing to try would be to schedule a one-time Fulll Exchange Mailbox backup for these subclients.  When doing so, ensure that you have the option checked for Create New Index and that should clear up this condition going forward.

JW

Posted: 06-06-2013, 8:24 PM

Thanks for the reply JW.  Help is appreciated.

I've tried looking into what you suggest but I'm unable to find the info in the commcell console.  The exchange backups are running from a 32bit second commvault instance (srv-commvault_32) with the Exchange iDA so this is all occurring on the commvault server.  I checked Properties on srv-commvault_32 (Content Indexing is unchecked), then on the Exchange Mailbox iDA, on defaultBackupSet, and on the S-T subclient but could not find an index cache setting anywhere.  Based on all the errors it's D:\CV_IndexCache\CV_Index.  D: has 68GB free of 293GB.  There's a potentially related error in event viewer:

Program = CVD, Computer = srv-commvault
    [D:\CV_IndexCache] does not have required minimum space of [240239] MB.  The space available is [69911] MB.

I also tried manually starting a Full Backup of the S-T subclient but there's no option I can see for "Create New Index".  Our commvault admin is away hence my unfamiliarity with the system.

It's strange that only one of the subclients is failing and it's not even the biggest of them.  We're using 9.0.0R2 with SP10 btw.

Posted: 06-07-2013, 11:04 AM

bhs,

Based on that message, it does sound like a potential space issue with your index cache.  Here is a documentation link covering index cache and how to move it:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/index/index_cache_how_to.htm

In order to have the Create New Index option, you have to create a one-time schedule and then you will see the option.

JW

Posted: 06-13-2013, 8:44 PM

Thanks JW.  Running a full backup cleared the issue.  Is there a problem with running only incrementals and synthetic fulls?  We do daily incrementals and weekly synthetic fulls but don't have scheduled full backups.

The index cache error has persisted so is a separate issue we'll look into.

Posted: 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Hello,

Incremental and synthetic full backups will not create a new index so in a case such as yours, your incremental or synthetic full might have attempted to query and generate indexes from the existing index and could not do so and was returning that error.  I know there are sites that do run synthetic fulls but they will run a conventional Full once a month to create a new index. 

JW

Posted: 07-04-2013, 2:01 AM

Make sure that your index cache folder is avaliable and user configured is has rights to it.

And remember that a full backup will always re-write your index cache

I'm Certifiable, not only certified.
    It just means my answers are from experience, not from a book.
    Posted: 07-04-2013, 6:56 PM

G'day Vali.  The Exchange job had been running for 12 months without issue and was exactly the same as 12 other jobs (2 alphabet letters each) and only it was failing.  It must simply have been a corrupted Index because running the full backup (thus recreating the cache) fixed the problem.

Knowing about the full backup recreating the index is indeed handy knowledge to have.  We'd been using synthetic fulls as absolute replacements for fulls but we now know to schedule a full every now and then.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy