SEP and CV Archive Agent crashes Windows File System Services

Last post 06-01-2015, 1:08 PM by Stupek. 53 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (54 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SEP and CV Archive Agent crashes Windows File System Services
    Posted: 07-09-2013, 8:56 AM

Hi there,

I have a problem with one of my customers since a very long time.

I can´t say when it occurred the first time.

The problem is, if Symantec Endpoint Protection is running together with CommVault Archiving Agent, the Windows File System Services stops working. In fact, all Windows Shares are inaccessible, even when using \\localhost\

My biggest issue, that prevents me from putting a case to Symantec is, if I stop the Archiving Service on the File Server, the shares are back and working immediately.

The historic of this issue:

We had this problem with SEP 12.0 and decided to de-install SEP and wait for a newer Release. We tried it with some other versions and finally we are now running SEP 12.1.3 and still the same behaviour.

What I´ve done till now:

• Added the folders

C:\Program Files\CommVault\*

C:\ProgramData\CommVault Systems\*

C:\gxhsmcache

To the exclusion list for all Scans

CommVault is currently running with SP 10a on a Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition (fully patched)

I´m also not able to say when the problem occurs. If I restart the Archiving Services everything is fine again, I´m also able to recover files, also from Remote Systems but after a while (sometimes 1 hour, sometimes 1 day), the users can´t work anymore and we need to cycle archiving services.

Perhaps someone else have some experiance with SEP12.

Florian

• Re: SEP and CV Archive Agent crashes Windows File System Services
    Posted: 07-19-2013, 4:55 PM

Exact same issue here. No resolution from Commvault support.

Posted: 07-19-2013, 5:11 PM

Florian,

Please try all of the steps in the doc link below:

https://ma.commvault.com/Bol/Details/1016267866

Symantec Endpoint Security v12xAV Settings for Windows File Archiver

JW

Posted: 07-19-2013, 5:35 PM

Been there done that...same problem.

Posted: 07-19-2013, 5:49 PM

I will suggest to open support case with logs and all the details in case KB article is not helping.

-Ashwin

Posted: 07-19-2013, 5:53 PM

I've opened two. Tech's point to that doc and tell me everything is setup correctly...and that's it. It doesn't go any further then that.

Posted: 07-24-2013, 1:51 PM

After uninstalling SEP completely the issue has gone away. We also installed SEP with AV only (no NTP or PTP) and the issue still exists. It looks like Symantec will have to whitelist the Archiver files and submit us a new client executable.

Posted: 07-24-2013, 3:15 PM

Thanks for the update. I had talked with customer engineering regarding this and they also told me the same thing about SEP.

Posted: 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Curious if anyone has confirmed any version of SEP 12 working with File Archiving.  As part of some archive troubleshooting, I recently removed V11 of SEP off our file servers and then later had our NOC push it back out for reinstall, not realizing they were pushing out a different newer version or that this newer version had issues.  Within 30 minutes I had calls from numerous users saying their network shares were innaccessible, stubs were not recalling, etc.  After pinpointing the problem, I was able to get SEP uninstalled and at least get our file shares back in working status.  I am now trying to find a way to proceed but it looks like V12 is out of the question for now?

Posted: 10-21-2013, 11:52 AM

JoeC, Please try to use the following link from Books Online.  The White Papers have been updated in the past couple of months and have worked for customer with SEP 12 recently.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/white_paper/security/symantec_v12_file_archiver.htm

Posted: 10-21-2013, 1:26 PM

Yes, I was on the phone with Commvault support and we verified that all those settings were in place and still we had the issues :(

I observed 3 symptoms with SEP (v12.1.2015.2015) installed:

1. File shares would become completely inaccessible for some users; double clicking the shares would basically hang windows explorer.  This issue went away almost immediately if I stopped or restarted the Commvault archiver service.

2. For users who could still access shares, most stub recalls would not work

3. Some files and stubs would fail with an 'access denied' error, even though NTFS permissions gave access to these files.  This happened even when trying to open these files locally on the file server.

Work around was to remove SEP and reboot, and now everything is working.  I know there is a newer version of SEP but wanted some definitive confirmation from somone of Commvault archiver and SEP actually living in harmony and if so, which exact version of SEP.  We are on Simpana 10 SP4.

Posted: 10-28-2013, 11:44 PM

Commvault just released a patch to fix the problem.

It's 46270

Item 7 in the readme file: "System can lock up during file recalls when certain Symantec Endpoint Protection products are installed and in use."

Posted: 10-30-2013, 11:38 AM

Good to know that it is fixed in Verison 9 now.

I´ve upgraded my customer to v10 yesterday. Today I was brave and reinstalled SEP on the File Server.

And what should I say, exactly the same problems that JoeC has.

Removed SEP and everything is fine again.

Running SP4a at the moment. Will there be a fix for v10 also?

Posted: 10-30-2013, 4:47 PM

I had to make the decision today to go back to SEP11 and am doing testing on a VM to verify there will be no issue (I'm very paranoid now).

Just as an aside, finding out about this when I did was a good thing despite the brief pain for our users.  We actually have the archiving tool installed in a few other places and the guy who is the admin for SEP was weeks away from doing an upgrade of all v11 clients to v12.  That would have been an 'exciting' day :(

Very anxious to hear that this is fixed in v10.

Posted: 10-31-2013, 2:29 PM

Commvault "may" be releasing v9 SP12 to resolve this issue tomorrow (Friday).

Posted: 10-31-2013, 3:53 PM
    There is already a patch for v9, but more interesting there is also a patch for v10. I've talked to support today, they put me a patch which need to be installed on top of 4a to my FTP site. So if you have problems with SEP on v10, talk to support :) I will test it on Monday
    Posted: 11-01-2013, 3:22 PM

So after 4 days of running v9 with the 46270 patch, today I started having stalling problems again on our file server from file recalls. Stopping and starting the Data Archiving Services still frees up the server. I'm running SEP 12.1.2100.2093 (12.1.2 MP1) on it. I had a ticket open with support but closed it yesterday when I thought I was in the clear.

I believe this problem is also related to another intermittent problem I've been having ever since I upgraded the file server to SEP 12. Periodically the iFind process freezes and the job goes into pending during scaning my nightly archiving jobs. I spent 2 months working with tech support trying to solve that one. Never did fully. It's random enough, I've just learned to live with it. Usually restarting the Data Archiving Services and resuming the job fixes it. It only happens 2 or 3 time a month.

These archiving problems on this server are wearing me out...

I'm throwing in the towel for now and rolling this file server back to SEP 11.0.7 MP3. Maybe in time one of these guys will get a grip on this SEP/archiving problem.

-Scott

Posted: 11-01-2013, 3:41 PM

Sorry to hear about that :(  I had such a jarring experience with the downtime caused by SEP12 to our file servers that I am just going to SEP11 for now.  I understand that it isn't all Commvault's fault here, but since SEP is breaking Simpana and not the other way around, the onus here is on Commvault.  I just don't have much hope that Symantec is going to rush out a fix for this.

In the mean time, I have a QA file server spun up just so I can do some testing on any future fix.  I won't be going back to SEP12 until I am 110% sure the issue is resolved.

Posted: 11-05-2013, 5:51 PM

So you guys can confirm for sure that the latest (last?) version of SEP 11 doesn't cause issues? I had the same problem w/ SEP 12 and a server my department inherited that's configured for archiving (I don't know much about Commvault archiving at all, this server wasn't configured by me). If I can install SEP 11 with confidence that it won't cause any issues, I'd much rather do that than go tirelessly through the same process you guys have.

If I knew something about it then I'd know how to test, but I wouldn't know where to start so hopefully someone here can give me a nudge in the right direction :)

Posted: 11-05-2013, 8:57 PM

Shaneus:

So you guys can confirm for sure that the latest (last?) version of SEP 11 doesn't cause issues? I had the same problem w/ SEP 12 and a server my department inherited that's configured for archiving (I don't know much about Commvault archiving at all, this server wasn't configured by me). If I can install SEP 11 with confidence that it won't cause any issues, I'd much rather do that than go tirelessly through the same process you guys have.

If I knew something about it then I'd know how to test, but I wouldn't know where to start so hopefully someone here can give me a nudge in the right direction :)

I reverted back to SEP 11.0.6300.803 and there is no issue with Simpana (knock on wood, its been 4 days now).

Just remember of course to check the proper boxes/options per the documentation, or if possible have your SEP admin configure a custom install package with the proper settings configured from the moment of install.

Posted: 11-05-2013, 9:21 PM

5 days for me now back with SEP 11.0.7 MP3 and no more archiving problems. Just like JoeC stated you still need to make sure you follow the Commvault documentaion for using SEP.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/white_paper/security/symantec_file_archiver_nine.htm

-Scott

Posted: 02-05-2014, 6:24 PM

Looks like the problem's been fixed (again) in SP14:

Update WinX64_9.0.0B84_46601

Update WinX64_9.0.0B84_ArchiverEarlyDriverNotify(46601)
    Required Version: 9.0.0
    Date: January 15, 2014
    Category: Recommended
    Platforms applicable: ResourcePack, File archiver driver

The following problems are fixed in this update.

If service is restarted while recallsInProgress, repair of stubs from RecallsInProgress section may cause a service crash.

GxhsmService not starting automatically.

GxhsmUtility copy of fpolicy stubs does not retain source stub time on the destination

GXHSMService causing driver hang/system hang in case of recall failure scenario with Anti-Virus SEP on the client. Fix is to notify the driver correctly during recall failure scenario.

Fix Out of place restore (which happens when RestoreACLs is set to No) behavior for early driver notification introduced in a previous update

I wish I was game enough to try it, but unfortunately our only archiver box is in prod so while updating CVT to the latest version is a no-brainer, installing SEP 12 is a whole other leap of faith.

Posted: 02-05-2014, 8:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up!  I stood up a QA file server for testing; I'll have to see if they fixed this with the latest SP for Simpana 10.

Posted: 02-06-2014, 1:40 AM

Don´t waste your time with v10 testing. 

I have this information in my ticket:

Posted: 03-26-2014, 8:19 AM

Hi,

Has anyone else tried SEP12 with V9 SP14?

We have and its still an issue for us....

Going to raise another support ticket but will be good to hear if others have tried or if its just our server!!!!

Cheers

Andy

Posted: 04-03-2014, 7:09 AM

I can only talk about v10 environments, because my archive customers are all migrated to v10. 

And the issues with SEP still exists, even with SP6!

Regards,

Florian

Posted: 04-03-2014, 10:59 AM

Support gave me several hotfixes to fix the SEP - CV issue in v10. We are currently on SP5B with the following DEV provided hotfixes:

9727 (may not be applicable)

Update 9922

Update 9449

Things "appear" to be stable now.

These hotfixes and updates require SP5B be installed and a Registry setting added to the CV software directory.

We are also running SEP 12.1.4.

Posted: 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM

How long have you been running these hotfixes successfully?  Days?  Weeks?  How busy is your environment and how many recalls would you say your users are kicking off per day?

Thanks for the info btw; the admin for SEP is getting antsy to upgrade everything to V11 but I told him he can only do that if he is willing to take calls from angry users.

Posted: 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM

I have received the same patches. First just a single one, that killed my file server again. Then one day later suddenly the other ones and I do still have the problem with hanging file share services

Posted: 04-03-2014, 11:13 AM

Very unfortunate :(  I was hoping this would be released as a fix bundled into a SP and not one-off dev fixes.  Looks like we continue waiting.

Posted: 04-21-2014, 5:43 PM

Issue still exists with v10 SP5b with the hotfixes mentioned previously. Support has given me a new hot fix: 140210-324 but I haven't gotten a chance to test it in our environment. This hotfix requires SP6 to be installed and two registry entries.

Posted: 05-15-2014, 5:05 AM

I have good news.

After a long discussion with Support team (I didn´t trust them anymore after experience with the latest patches I got) I received a new patch for v10 SP6.

Patch is: Update_10060 and you need to set 2 Reg Keys.

This was done a week ago and SEP was updated again to the latest release.

And system is running stable for one week now!

Posted: 05-29-2014, 11:57 PM

So glad I finally found this thread, I've been dealing with this issue on and off for a week now on v10 SP6 and SEP 12.1.4.

Of course I never came across it while troubleshooting, only once finding the culprit...

I opened a job with Support who sent me the patch within minutes.  It's been applied to my file servers and will install SEP tonight and test.

Fingers cross, thanks all for the help.

Posted: 06-09-2014, 2:06 AM

Hi FlorianS, is this still working for you?

Mine appeared to be working but the problem returned after about a week so I've reopened it with Commvault.

I've also put it down to the version of SMB the client is negotiating with.  All my clients are on the same Windows 7 SOE but certain users seem to connect on SMB 1.5.  These users appear to have no problem with shares when the issue occurs.  They still can't recover files though, and a restart of the service is required to bring everything back... 

Posted: 07-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Can anyone confirm the status of this issue with SEP and Simpana 10?  Was this fixed with SP7?  If not fixed in an SP, is there at least a 100% confirmed fix available as a patch from support?

I am looking to build a new Server 2012 R2 file cluster for our organization.  Unfortunately, the compatibility information I am seeing on Symantec's site doesn't list Server 2012 / R2 being compatible with SEP 11.x which is what we are still using on our older servers due to this issue with recalls.

Posted: 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM

We deployed SP7 last weekend to all clients. This stripped out the SEP hotfix that Commvault has provided us for SP6 (WinX64_10.0.0B116_61(SEPFixForRecallHangonSP6). So far no issues but we need to run with SP7 for a month before we are sure. We are also running SEP v12.1.4100.4126.

Posted: 07-17-2014, 11:38 AM
    We moved to SP7 on launch day and the first thing we noticed was the SMB share hangs on recalls. Logged it with support and they recompiled the hot fix for SP7. I'm told it will be included with SP8 onwards. The effect was far worse than SP6 in that it left some stubs in an unrecoverable state.
    Posted: 07-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Thanks to default_user and Brad for replying.  It sounds like one of you seems to have had good results.  Unfortunately, I have to assume the problem is potentially still there based on what you are saying Brad.  Very disheartening.

Brad, how are you handling this currently?  Did you revert to an older version of SEP?  Uninstall SEP?  Did Commvault provide you with a patch to use in the mean time?

Posted: 07-17-2014, 8:57 PM
    The problem is definitely still there, at least with my environment of a 2008 R2 file system and SEP 12.1.4100.
    My initial test was to uninstall SEP, instantly fixing the issue so I then confirmed with Support that the hotfix was missing from SP7.
    I haven’t yet reinstalled SEP so can’t confirm that the fix works although Support were confident it was just an oversight by CV.

It did sound like I may have been the first to report the problem as it had to go back to Dev to rebuild it for SP7.
    The update is called “(PreRelease-150-BIN)” in my Commcell, whether it’s since been repackaged as an official hotfix I’m not sure.

As for the “broken stubs” issue, it’s a strange one that I haven’t logged with Support yet as it seems to fix itself and is hard to reproduce. It appears that any recalls that were attempted while the hotfix wasn’t installed are still in a “broken” state. The user will get an “access denied” error stating that permission is needed the owner of the file, even if it is themself. After anywhere from 5-30 minutes the error is gone and the file will recall without issue…
    I’d be keen to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Cheers,
    Brad
    Posted: 07-18-2014, 10:32 AM

We are also seeing this issue.  We have managed to get Commvault and SEP12 working together, but we have to have "File System Auto-Protect" disabled in SEP.

As this is not a solution for our environment, we are still working with Symantec and Commvault to try and find a resolution.

Posted: 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM

Brad.Lucas:
    The problem is definitely still there, at least with my environment of a 2008 R2 file system and SEP 12.1.4100. My initial test was to uninstall SEP, instantly fixing the issue so I then confirmed with Support that the hotfix was missing from SP7. I haven’t yet reinstalled SEP so can’t confirm that the fix works although Support were confident it was just an oversight by CV. It did sound like I may have been the first to report the problem as it had to go back to Dev to rebuild it for SP7.

Just so I am completely clear on this, you are saying that *if* you install the patch from support, it resolves your issue?  But, SP7 did not include the patch so it caused the problem to return when applied?  Have you since re-applied "PreRelease-150-BIN" to your SP7 update, and if so, are you able to run with SEP enabled?

Posted: 07-20-2014, 9:06 PM
    Hi Joe, I can’t confirm the patch works yet as I haven’t reinstalled SEP but Support tell me it is the same patch as the one for SP6, it just needed to be reapplied as SP7 removed it.
    “PreRelease-150-BIN” it its title in SP7, it had a different name in SP6.

With what you were saying amasters, my problem was slightly different in that disabling components didn’t help. Even with every component disabled and all services stopped the problem still occurs because the Symantec driver and the File Recall driver both get their fingers into the lanmanserver service.
    Posted: 07-21-2014, 6:57 AM

Hi,  Maybe i should clarify.  We only got SEP and Commvault working together once we had deployed the pre-release patch that Commvault had on SP6 (Not tried on SP7 yet), but we still could not enable auto-protect.  We are continuing to work with Commvault on the issue to see if we can get the patch to fully resolve the issue.

Posted: 07-21-2014, 8:52 AM

Thanks for the update/clarification.  Quite a quandary.  I can't run without any AV protection and yet I also can't have a file server that won't serve up files.  I suppose the only option is to delay my deployment until I can verify the issue is resolved completely.  Very disappointing this issue has gone unresolved this long :(

Posted: 07-21-2014, 9:15 PM
    Oh I see, no the SP6 patch worked for us without issue; Auto-Protect, Proactive and Network Threat Protection all on and working. Hopefully the same is true for SP7 when I put SEP back on.

Have you applied all the correct registry settings too?
    These are in the documentation:
    2.Create MaxThreadsPerQueue registry key in the following location to override the operating system defaults.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\MaxThreadsPerQueue
    Change the DWORD Decimal Value to 1024.
    3.Create MaxMpxCt registry key in the following location to override the operating system defaults.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\MaxMpxCt
    Change the DWORD Decimal Value to 125.

and although Support were adamant that they weren’t required they certainly were in my environment.

Also, out of curiosity, have you confirmed the issue only occurs with SMB2 clients?
    I coincidently stumbled across SMB1 clients that continued to work without issue while everyone else was complaining.

Another workaround I had was to drop the server to SMB1 while waiting for the patch.
    Posted: 07-22-2014, 3:58 AM

I have the registry settings that are documented in the readme file implemented.

However i don't have these other 2 set that you have listed, so I will try these as well to see if it helps to fully resolve the issue.

I haven't checked between SMB1 and 2 when the issue occurs, but don't think we have any clients running SMB1 nativly.

Posted: 07-22-2014, 4:04 AM
    Those two entries are pretty critical I think, to the point that even Symantec recommend it for Enterprise Vault recalls and isn’t even SEP related.
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185593

I went down the SMB path because even though we don’t have SMB1 running natively, some users would connect on that version periodically.
    These users were unaffected and their shares continued to work. You can tell what sessions are SMB1 by the username being in uppercase in Computer Management > Shared Folders > Sessions.

Good luck,
    Cheers
    Posted: 07-22-2014, 4:08 AM

Same here.

After my last Support ticket was closed with the information that the Pre-Released update will be included into SP7 I´ve deployed SP7 last week.

One day later the file server crashed again and support confirmed that the update was not included into SP7, but the support engineer want to check with development if the update can be installed with SP7.

In the meantime I´ve removed all the Agents on the fileserver, reinstalled with the SP6 BootStrapper installer and reinstalled the old patch that worked.

I´m not going to install SP7 again untill I have new information from support

Posted: 08-06-2014, 11:20 PM

I've been doing some testing on a new Windows Server 2012 R2 file cluster; Simpana 10 w/SP7 installed.  I am running SEP 12.1.4013.4013 on this server.  I've included the following 'additional settings' for both nodes in the cluster:

I've also included the recommended SMB/registry settings outlined in previous posts in this thread and all the SEP exclusions and settings outlined in the V10 Docs.

So far after 2 days of kicking off recalls on a test fileshare and asking some people on my team to help test, I've not seen the issue crop back up again.  I'm still not feeling quite ready to move production files to this new cluster but will continue to hammer away for a few more days and see if the issue flares up again.

Posted: 09-18-2014, 5:23 PM

SP8 for Simpana 10 was released today.  One of the fixes listed in release notes was:

321. Recall operations on stub files in computers where SEP 12 is installed causes a hang on the shares.

Doing some testing on this now; hoping this finally puts this issue to rest!

Posted: 12-09-2014, 7:21 AM

Hi,

Has anyone got this successfully running with V10 SP8? We need to upgrade SEP as 11 is going out of support / updates soon so need it to work!

Thanks

Andy

Page 1 of 2 (54 items)   1 2 Next >
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy