Compliance Search Best Practice

Last post 07-15-2013, 8:54 AM by Donsambucci. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Compliance Search Best Practice
    Posted: 11-02-2012, 3:59 PM

We are a managed services provider and have recently setup Commvault to archive Exchange 2010 journal data.  Pretty simple configuration, working well, but I have been getting some inconsistent search results and updated documentation on search methods have been hard to find.  Looking to reach out to those using it on a daily basis for their feedback.   My customer sees this as well, as there are multiple ways to search for data and it has been a negative so far.  I am looking for what will provide the most comprehensive set of search results.  

Below are my findings. 

Is there a best practice on using either ALIAS or DISPLAY NAME when doing searches? Below are my search results using each type. The customer is aware of this and is a little concerned on what exactly constitutes a full search. Meaning, what gives me the most complete set of results.   Below is when searching on just one name, the same name.  

Email Address field

Display Name    19854 results

Alias         6020 results

From field

Display Name     8794 results

Alias         4420 results

To field

Display Name    15330 results

Alias        1177 results

• Re: Compliance Search Best Practice
    Posted: 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM

When performing searches on TO, FROM, CC, or BCC fields, you can either specify the entire mailbox display name/alias name or you can use wildcards to search for partial mailbox display names/alias names.

When performing searches on Email Address, TO, FROM, CC, or BCC fields, you have to specify SMTP address within quotes.

• Re: Compliance Search Best Practice
    Posted: 07-15-2013, 8:54 AM

Hi,

When searching by display name that has a special character such as period or a dash with in the name [john.smith@abc.com]

You will need to perform a search using only the display name otherwise the search will provide inaccurate results.

This is due to the inablitly to parse period within the smtp address during the extraction process so in order to achive the correct results the display name is perferred.

Example:

SMTP address -  j.smith@abc.com 

Display Name -  John smith

Saerching multiple SMTP addresses or Display names please use quotes around the item

Example

"jsmith@abc.com"; "bsmith@abc.com"

or

"John smith"; "bob smith"

You can also use query builder

Below are some examples of query structure when using Query builder.

("forwarded by Jeff") AND (uc) AND ("our defense against") AND (rclst:"jeff.dasovich@abc.com")

("forwarded by Jeff") OR (uc) AND ("our defense against") AND (rclst:"jeff.dasovich@abc.com" OR rclst:"steven.kean@abc.com")

Please note:

Using editors such as Outlook or Word can transpose characters such as double quotes. We suggest using notepad.

Thank you

Donato

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy