CommNet / Simpana Monitor - Who's using it?

Last post 10-25-2010, 9:47 AM by VC0. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CommNet / Simpana Monitor - Who's using it?
    Posted: 08-16-2010, 1:38 PM

Is anyone using this product?  We've purchased it, but rarely use it, and I'm looking for ideas on how it can help us.

Any ideas?

• Re: CommNet / Simpana Monitor - Who's using it?
    Posted: 08-16-2010, 1:53 PM

Bolsen,

Commnets ability to lump data between multiple commcells makes its a valuable tool.  This helps gets a global view of media usage, backup and recovery stats, tape handling, ect... across multiple commcells in the environment.  This and having the ability to create easy to read charts for management, helps provide assurance, compliance, and ROI statistics. 

Posted: 08-19-2010, 8:28 PM

I've found its use only limited.  

If i were to believe its graphs then since march my FS backups have increased from 3tb to 28 tb which just isn't the case.  I suspect its a garbage in garbage out issue where our commserve db has has so much brain surgery over the years that its records are completely broken.  

Libraries being removed, errors with libraries suddenly thinking they are full of duplicated tapes... data classifier deciding that incrementals should be the same size as fulls, storage policies being added and removed etc tend to blow out the data so that i can't really use the tool to reliably report anything to management.

I've rebuilt our commnet(or monitor - or whatever its called this week) in the last few days and that's cleaned up our media prediction a little bit but i still can't make heads nor tails of the data growth stats.

So far as I'm concerned the only useful report i can get out of it is the DP coverage one - thats very good for seeing trends - especially if you see a backup has failed over a few nights etc.  The only thing it lacks is an indication of failed files.

Thats said - all of this is using the product with 0 training or information on it so maybe the problem is just something i've done along the way ;-)

Posted: 09-28-2010, 11:39 AM
    • VC0 is not online. Last active: 06-10-2011, 4:31 PM VC0
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

We really don't use CommNet it just won't run reports as expected.

The regular CV reports are quick and do almost everything we need.

We only have one commcell and are considering not renewing it, we are also not CommNet trained.

Does anyone use 1-touch Server? We are also thinking about dropping 1-Touch don't use it.

It is configured and tested but never used.

Posted: 09-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Yea we have problems with the reports as well.  We find very little usage for only on CommCell.

Internally we do not support 1-touch.  We are dropping it from our renewal.

Posted: 09-29-2010, 4:12 PM

One touch is a nice product to have if a machine (particularly a physical box) goes down hard. One touch will allow you to do a "bare metal" restore much easier than trying to match up you patch level for your OS. With this agent it is more about your SLA's for rebuilding a dead box.

As far as Monitor\ CommNet, the reports that it can produce are more comprehensive then the regular reporting. I find this very useful in trending my environment to purchase storage and tape (if you still use this) and also trending my backups.

Posted: 10-19-2010, 1:54 AM

I am using Commnet 8, but my schedule report doesn't run, any idea ?

Posted: 10-19-2010, 9:44 AM

vinceloh:

I am using Commnet 8, but my schedule report doesn't run, any idea ?

Can you manually fire off reports successfully?  Do other scheduled jobs run or is it just a specific report?

Posted: 10-19-2010, 11:25 AM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

We only have so many license of one touch, and the servers we setup have never failed.

But during testing it had problems with san drives but not with local hd's.

Also the maintenance of the drivers FC, Disk, Nic were a problem. we also had problems with profiles and scripting. But that was when we were at ver7 don't know if 8 has improved.

CV has dropped there price and it would only save minimal $$$$ so we are not dropping anything.

We are also looking at a CLA license that lets you have as many ida's and access to all CV Products.

Posted: 10-19-2010, 9:30 PM

Yes, I can manually fire a report from CommNet, but ALL the schedule reports configure in CommNet just doesn't run. I have rebooted the server but to not avail.

When I try to modify the schedule report after it was passed the time for it to run, it said it was running and can't modify, I waited for few days but does not see the report in my local drive where I specified in pdf format.

Posted: 10-20-2010, 10:23 AM

vinceloh:

Yes, I can manually fire a report from CommNet, but ALL the schedule reports configure in CommNet just doesn't run. I have rebooted the server but to not avail.

When I try to modify the schedule report after it was passed the time for it to run, it said it was running and can't modify, I waited for few days but does not see the report in my local drive where I specified in pdf format.

Can you check if windows scheduler is disabled or not functioning properly?  Commnet leverages windows scheduler to initiate the jobs.

Posted: 10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

Are you all patched up with sp's and hotfixes?

Have they ever ran as a scheduled job before?

Posted: 10-20-2010, 9:15 PM

After we patched up the SP5

Problem resolved, thanks for yours great help. thanks

Posted: 10-25-2010, 9:47 AM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Texas
    • Novice
    • Points 37

Great glad it is working now.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy