Commvault DB Definitions / Job Summary Report

Last post 06-16-2014, 9:51 PM by Ali. 35 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Commvault DB Definitions / Job Summary Report
    Posted: 06-18-2013, 3:36 AM

Hi guys!

I want to create a customized report where I can only see the client, backup status, start and end times and total runinng time. From these info, I want to know the backup success rate for the day and if its overrunning for a certain time. I am thinking of creating a script in excel - vba to do this. Are there any other ways to do this?

Also, I am considering to query the CV database but I do not have the table definitions. Do you know where can I find this?

Lastly, can the report be done using CommNet? We are in a capacity license and I would like to know if I can install Commnet right away.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Re: Commvault DB Definitions / Job Summary Report
    Posted: 06-18-2013, 2:14 PM

Hi,
    Here is our documentation link to the Commcell Views

CommCell Views provides a way to query information on the CommCell components directly from the SQL database.

You can use these default views, or you can create or customize the existing views to reflect the data in your organization. The views are created by querying the database. These query are by default displayed in SQL Enterprise Manager. You can also use products such as Crystal Reports, Microsoft Reporting Services and/or Microsoft Excel to format your query output.

If you modify a view or create a new view, you must reapply them after each new release.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/commcell_explorer/commcell_explorer.htm

Additionally we offer Customer Reports (Dashboard) which may be helpul to you. Here is our documentaitohn link for custom reports.

Dashboard allows you to build custom reports using SQL queries that include the CommCell information that is most meaningful to you. There are three ways to generate a custom report with Dashboard:

• View a saved report from the list
    • Enter a SQL query and build the report based on the query results
    • Use the provided filters, including tables, views, and columns, to create a SQL query from which you can build a custom report

Some reports appear on the Dashboard by default, so that you can see them when you first log into the Dashboard site. You can replace these default reports with reports that you build, or you can change them to suit your needs.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/reports/data_explorer_reports/custom_reports.htm

Thank you,
    CommVault Customer Support
    24/7 Support Hotline#: 1.877.780.3077

Posted: 06-19-2013, 9:53 AM

Thanks for the reply!

But how can I do modifications on the data? Like counting the successful backups and computing for the success rate? Is it gonna be excel?

I cant use the dashboard so the backupviews are better.

Thanks again!

Posted: 06-19-2013, 10:36 AM

Yes. You would use Excel or somethign like that.

As it states in the Overview (http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/commcell_explorer/commcell_explorer.htm)

- " You can also use products such as Crystal Reports, Microsoft Reporting Services and/or Microsoft Excel to format your query output."

Thank you,

Posted: 06-20-2013, 5:33 AM

Hi Jen,

I think I have found out the data that I need in the Jobs Summary report. I can produce the report using a csv file but I dont need all the fields in there. Is there a way to get rid of the unwanted columns so that it is much faster for my script to analyze the data?

Thanks again.

Posted: 06-20-2013, 9:23 AM

If you are using the Job Summary report there is a possiblilty of 2 things that could work for you.

You can select the "Calendar" buton next to "View Type" under the "General" tab from "Detailed".

If that is not good you can also try changing the output to be "Summary" versus "Full" under "Output Format: HTML" under the "Output" tab. 

Thank you,

Posted: 08-08-2013, 7:36 AM

Hello Jen,

I am creating a report to be used in MS Excel PowerPivot and would like to connect it directly to the CommServ DB. Do you have an idea about the table used by the Job Summary report?

How long is the data retained in the Database?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 08-08-2013, 9:57 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 06-26-2019, 2:03 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Good day vmendoza,

Currently best practice is to access the Commserve DB via the CommCell Views provided above by Jen, strongly believe accessing these tables for reporting could have a performance impact on the overall CommCell activity.

Also for data retention for job history etc, is dependant on a few variable, some are defaulting based on job retention, some are based on weekly/monthly self-maintaining cycles.  Please us know if there's a particular statistic you're aiming to caputre.

Posted: 08-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Hi Ali,

For example, we want to know all the backups that have failed for th year 2010. What report can we look at? I believe the job summary report can only go back to a certain number of years. How can we possibly do this?

Should we just run a job summary report everyday?

Ok so it is not a best practice to read data from the Commserv DB?

Thanks for your reply!

Posted: 08-08-2013, 10:25 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thanks, and accessing the DB is ok with CommCell Views using 3rd party connectors, direct access is a bit 'risky' to say the least.  What version are you on btw? 

Feel that running Reports daily and archiving them locally are a good reference point, however you can extend retention of these values, which Data Aging controls, from Control Panel --> Data Aging (tab)  --> "Days to keep the failed/killed backup job...". 

The results again may be limited for now of course since the history may have pruned.  Also within the Job Summary Report --> Selection (tab) there's are a few check boxes under "Advanced:" section, key to have the "Aged Data" and "Include Media Deleted Jobs" as well.

Posted: 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM

vmendoza03:

Hi Ali,

For example, we want to know all the backups that have failed for th year 2010. What report can we look at? I believe the job summary report can only go back to a certain number of years. How can we possibly do this?

Should we just run a job summary report everyday?

Ok so it is not a best practice to read data from the Commserv DB?

Thanks for your reply!

The job history will be retained for at least as long as your job retention is on the storage policy.  If your jobs are still active from 2010 then you can run a job summary report and specify a TO and FROM date on the timerange tab to only include 2010 and select only "Failed" job types from Options

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 08-08-2013, 10:53 AM

SReents:

The job history will be retained for at least as long as your job retention is on the storage policy.  If your jobs are still active from 2010 then you can run a job summary report and specify a TO and FROM date on the timerange tab to only include 2010 and select only "Failed" job types from Options

Negative.  By default killed/failed jobs histories are only retained for 90 days.

You can change this by goin gto control panel > media management configuration > Data aging tab > "DAYS to keep the failed/killed backup job and other job histories"

Posted: 08-08-2013, 11:01 AM

Commnet histories could be set to infinite to allow you to perform all historical reporting.

In commnet browser > right click the commnet server > history retention > set the retain history values to infinite.

Posted: 08-12-2013, 5:03 AM

HI Ali,

Im running on CommVault 9 SP 10a. Thanks!

Posted: 08-12-2013, 5:05 AM

Vincenzo_Basolino:

Commnet histories could be set to infinite to allow you to perform all historical reporting.

In commnet browser > right click the commnet server > history retention > set the retain history values to infinite.

Hi Vicenzo,

Is Commnet free? We are using a capacity license for our backups. Thanks!

Posted: 08-12-2013, 4:38 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi vmendoza, you may have this part of your Capacity Bundle, could you send us a License Summary Report w/ details option checked, we can confirm.

You may ultimately need to reach your Account team to request this module added, unsure if this would incur a cost, again, best answered by the Account Team.

Posted: 08-12-2013, 9:45 PM

Hi Ali,

Attached is the license summary report. Thanks!

Posted: 08-12-2013, 9:48 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thanks for that, and good news, you're fully licensed, please see towards the bottom of the Report.

CommNet Server Unlimited 0 0 0 N/A N/A N/A

CommNet Agent Unlimited 0 0 0 N/A N/A N/A

CommNet Advanced Reporting 1 1 0 0 dkebjbackup01 07/04/2013 N/A

CommNet SNMP Enabler Unlimited 0 0 0 N/A N/A N/A

Posted: 08-12-2013, 9:54 PM

Nice to know so can I install it directly? Do I need to setup a separate database for this? Thanks!

Posted: 08-12-2013, 10:04 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

There are two options in that regard.  Either install CommNet on a standalone machine, during install MSSQL and 'blank' Commserve modules will be installed (need to double check with the Account Team for acquiring another license file for this 'blank' CS machine as it will install in Eval mode, may or may not cost you extra for stand alone CommNet install) and it can sync with your Production Commserve's data, and any other CommCells you plan on having, or existing ones. 

Or you can install it right on the existing Commserve [dkebjbackup01] ther another DB will be auto-created during the Install from DVD1, just run Setup.  Suggest to spec out/increase the RAM & HD space, considering the performance demands etc, and the space growth CommNet usually will need, keeping in mind the historical data being retain, Infinite in your case.

More on system requirements for CommNet worth reading:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/system_requirements/system_requirements.htm?var1=http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/system_requirements/commnet_server.htm

Posted: 08-12-2013, 10:15 PM

I would probably use a test server first which is a stand alone server. DO I need to install aything besides CommNet? I have MS SQL 2008 in that server as well. DO you have any ideas on the requirements? Thanks!

Posted: 08-12-2013, 10:19 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Understood, just selecting CommNet will do within the Setup option.  The installer will install SQL if it doesn't detect the Application on the test box by default, if its there should skip over that component.

Posted: 08-12-2013, 10:36 PM

Thanks so much for your replies!

Can Commnet be the answer for my report generation problem? Is there a tutorial on how to use it?

Posted: 08-13-2013, 2:41 AM

You probably should also notice that CommNet is no longer available with v10.

Posted: 08-13-2013, 12:36 PM

These are the views/functions that will be help ful to get same details as job summary report

1) SELECT * FROM CompletedBackupJobs('mm-dd-yyyy', 'mm-dd-yyyy', 1, 0)  

Arguments are StartDate, EndDate, CountAgedJobs, IsSummary in that order.

2) select * from CommCellBackupInfo

let us know any specific data that is missing

New reports can be created and rendered by the users using above views with different graphing options using custom reports.

It is recommended to mine the data from Commserv as it has all the needed data.

Failed jobs retention can be modified from control panel for reporting purpose.

Metrics report is the new and improved version of CommNet, where only aggregated data is retained for long term trending purpose, example job counts are stored instead of entier job list.

Posted: 08-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Hi All,

For the retention of the backup report, if i want to see the history for 5 yrs then I need to set the retention of the storage policy to 5 yrs also?

Will this be deleted in the DB as well after 5 yrs? Thanks!

Posted: 08-14-2013, 10:32 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi vmendoza, Retention and Reporting are tied, however 1st you would need to know what your Organization's policy to retain data is, then you can determine a Reporting retention, would not suggest to just extend retention on the Policy to keep your Reports.

Lets say your policy dictates to retain data for 3 years, but want to report on data from 5 years ago, you would need to extended the Reporting retention from the Control Panel option, not the data retenion on the Policy, or just archive the Reports to refer back to them, hope that makes sense.

Posted: 08-15-2013, 8:12 AM

Hi Ali,

Our company policy only retains data for 1 yr. The problem is only the full backups are retained for that period. Our incrementals are only retained for 7 days. So it means it is better to take a report daily and archive it?

Also, what is the setting in the control panel to prolong the retention of all jobs (including completed jobs)? I can see it in Media Management > Data Aging > Days to keep failed/killed backup job and other job histories.. Does this setting include all histories including COMPLETED jobs?

As I understand, if the Days to keep failed backup is set to 90 and my retention is 7 days it will mean that I will have a job history for max of 97 days. Is my understanding correct?

Lastly, if i will try to use Commnet, it will also depend on the retention setting of the backup jobs right? So it means it can only produce the same kind of reports as the Commcell?

Thank you so much for you reply!

Posted: 08-15-2013, 9:41 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Vmendoza,

Just a little bit lower within the same Control Panel option under the Data Aging tab, please see "Days to keep the successful backup job histories" that should help

Failed backup jobs won't have Retention applied, from the Storage Policy level, that would only apply to Completed job.  Retention for job history will apply (Days to keep failed backup).

In CommNet the data collection retention can be kept for longer than the actual Storage Policy retention, CommNet is purely for Reporting purposes.  Archving daily reports is not a bad idea either.

Posted: 08-15-2013, 9:52 AM

Alright, got it.

But Commnet is getting its details from the Commserv DB right? I think I better install Commnet to see how it works. So it means Commnet does not depend on the Storage Policy Retention?

Thanks!

Posted: 08-15-2013, 10:06 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Yes sir, that retention is purely for Data, not for Reporting.  Look forward to any feedback once you have CommNet up and running.

Also, as mentioned previously, CommNet has met EOL in v9, hope you get a chance to test out the newer reporting features, however for auditing purposes can understand you may need the actual job details for reporting.

Posted: 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM

OK, I will test. Hopefully it wont be that hard to make it up and running. We're on V9 and have no plans yet to upgrade so I guess this will be enough for now.

Will Commnet copy the histories from my CommServ DB? I understand Commnet has a separate DB.

Posted: 08-15-2013, 2:26 PM

You may want to look into Custom Reporting as well as Metric Reporting (in V10).

The link below will give you an overview for v9 Custom Reporting:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/prod_info/reports.htm?var1=http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/reports/data_explorer_reports/custom_reports.htm

Considering the deprecated nature of CommNet, I would suggest looking into using Custom Reporting in v9 (since it will scale right into your eventual v10 upgrade).

This link below is for Metrics Reporting in v10, just in case you wanted to take a look at what is in store once you go to v10:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_10_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/prod_info/reports.htm?var1=http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_10_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/reports/help/metrics/diagnostics_usage.htm

Posted: 08-22-2013, 9:44 AM

Hi guys,

Im looking to install COmmNet in our Commserve. I have read that it is designed for systems with multiple commcells. I only have a single Commcell and I would like to know if it is advisable to install it? What different reports can it give me compared to the normal commcell reports? Thanks!

Posted: 06-16-2014, 7:29 AM

We are ready to upgrade to version 10 BUT, we have CommNet.

Normal reporting and job retention is 35 days, but the CommNet database keeps job information for a year which we reqire for audit reporting.

Is there the option when installing EnterPrise Metrics Reporting to use another database like we do with CommNet?

I have not seen any way to migrate the data that is in our current CommNet into Metrics Reporting, so we lose that data or have to keep the server off-line till we no longer need the reports

Thank you

Posted: 06-16-2014, 9:51 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Steve, hope you are well.

Thats correct, there's no direct way to "import" data from CommNet, however we have Metrics & Custom reporting as well.  If the built in reports do not meet your business use case, please call into the Galaxy Hotline and log an Incident, Support can walk you through some options which can get you the report you may need.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy