CDR - Replicating from one drive/volume to another on the same server

Last post 11-05-2013, 8:56 AM by JoeC. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CDR - Replicating from one drive/volume to another on the same server
    Posted: 11-01-2013, 4:54 PM

Greetings!

Our organization is in the middle of a migration from Dell Equallogic SAN to EMC VNX SAN.  We have numerous clustered and standalone servers where we need to move data from volumes/drives hosted on the EQL to the VNX.  CDR seemed like a perfect use for this vs XXCOPY, etc. 
    So far, I have set up a test server where I set the source and destination as different drives on the same server and it seemed to work fine.  Of particular concern to me was that the destination files were exactly the same (modified/accessed time stamps, etc) and this seemed to be the case.

I wanted to ask if anyone had used CDR in this scenario and if so, how did it go.  Are there any potential complications or other considerations I would want to be aware of?  I do not see this type of replication listed in supported configurations but again, it seems to work just fine.

• Re: CDR - Replicating from one drive/volume to another on the same server
    Posted: 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi JoeC, hope you are well.

If you're asking if the Agent is hardware agnostic, then yes, guesing these will be presented as locally mounted drives for Windows machines.  Don't see why this wouldn't work for you, also another option could be to backup the data, and then restore it using the File System iDA.

• Re: CDR - Replicating from one drive/volume to another on the same server
    Posted: 11-05-2013, 8:56 AM

Correct.  We would be mounting these locally with different drive letters and then after the data has been sync'd, we would swap the drive letters essentially.  Thanks - I thought there should be no issue here.  I was curious if anyone had used CDR in this scenario.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy