VS iDA VADP backups leaving snapshots behind

Last post 04-28-2011, 3:20 AM by Taz. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VS iDA VADP backups leaving snapshots behind
    Posted: 08-26-2010, 4:05 PM

Noticed as of late that some of the snapshots are getting left behind, even though I can see that CV is attempting to delete them in the vsbkp.log

--- Failed to remove Snapshot __GX_BACKUP__ snapshot-42533 from VM px4 - Unable to access file <unspecified filename> since it is locked.  Vcenter shows a similar error message

For some reason the snapshot is in some limbo state where it doesnt even show up in the snap manager.  If I take a manual snapshot, the older one will sometimes show up.

I found that VDR and veeam are having similar issues and discovered helpful steps to recover from this instead of having to call VMware.

http://tipstricksandmore.blogspot.com/2010/02/solved-unable-to-access-file.html

http://blog.vmpros.nl/2010/06/02/vmware-active-snapshots-but-cant-see-them-in-snapshot-manager/

• Re: VS iDA VADP backups leaving snapshots behind
    Posted: 08-26-2010, 4:54 PM

Vincenzo,

We are aware of the issue and have escalated the call to VMware engineering.  The defect appears to be on their end with the locking mechanism on the snap.  While Vmware engineering continues to work on this issue, I will update this thread to keep everyone abreast of next steps, workarounds, or a permanent solution. 

I appreciate the links you posted and hope they could be of some value to other organizations running into the same issue.

Posted: 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Any updates regarding this particular issue? My organization is having the same issue.

Thanks

Posted: 11-17-2010, 12:58 PM

We upgraded to SP5 as it appeared the VSBKP.exe process was crashing, and havent had the issue since.

Posted: 11-17-2010, 5:25 PM

We are on SP5 and have the same issue occasionally.

-Chad

Posted: 11-17-2010, 5:43 PM
    Yeah. We are on SP5 as well and the issue still persists.
    • Thread Status: No Status    
    • Post Points: 1
    Posted: 11-17-2010, 9:49 PM

There is an update which may help with the vsbkp.exe process from crashing.

the update number is 19007 VSAWAVE5 patch.

you can get it from Maintenance Advantage > Software Updates > enter the update number 19007 in the search field.

download the version that you need (32 or 64 bit) and install it on you Virtual Server iDA.

Client Team Supervisor - Focus on Virtualization
    Follow me on Twitter - @wfarinella
    Posted: 11-18-2010, 1:04 PM

I also have the 19007 update installed and still have the problem occasionally.

-Chad

Posted: 11-18-2010, 1:15 PM
    I have this update installed as well. The problem still persists occasionally.

-Rick
    • Thread Status: No Status    
    • Post Points: 1
    Posted: 03-09-2011, 6:52 PM

We seem to be having a number of problems wth this issue. Any updates regarding this issue?

Posted: 03-13-2011, 9:32 PM

yeah any news?  specifically v9 related also?

Posted: 03-17-2011, 9:58 AM

We have the issue as well with V9.

Posted: 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Is anyone experiencing any problems due to these snapshots? We have been having an issue where its causing our VM's to become corrupt. We have a call open with Commvault and VMware our environment is on VSphere 4.1 (Build 348481).

Posted: 04-27-2011, 1:56 PM

Are you using Hotadd or another transport mode?

Posted: 04-28-2011, 3:20 AM

Vincenzo we are using hotadd.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy